1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News India officially recognizes third gender

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by resu, Apr 15, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know India gets a lot of flack for its homophobia and recent ruling that upholds colonial era laws criminalizing homosexual activity, but one place where it does shine is on transgender visibility and relative acceptance of hijras.

BBC News - India court recognises transgender people as third gender

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So does this mean that if two transgender people have sexual relations, they're breaking the colonial code for same sex relations? I'm glad they made a good ruling, but their other ruling was completely pathetic.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but I would say this ruling is more significant than the other because most sexual encounters are in private areas, while this decision means official recognition and a pathway to eventually overturning the sexual activity laws.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure what to think.
    As a trans person myself, I just want to be treated normally.
    However, this gives trans people a chance to prove that we are not some sort of freaks.

#4 An Gentleman, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. Aldrick

I hate to pour rain on the parade, and don't want to take away from the victory that some Indian's are celebrating. However, I have some concerns.

First of all, the nations that have passed third gender laws (Nepal, Bangladesh, and now India) have a cultural history of recognizing more than two genders - unlike Western culture. However, the concern that I have is that all we're really doing is creating more boxes in which to place people, rather than allowing people to define themselves.

If you are born anatomically and chromatically female, can you opt to identify as male under this new ruling, or must you identify as "other"? No one, to my knowledge, identifies as "other" and it's being used as a catch all term for everyone outside of the binary.

Second, as a result of being labeled a third gender called "other", India is now required to create a third restroom specifically for the third gender. Funds aren't unlimited, we're dealing with a minority of people, so guess what is the first thing to be removed from a budget? If these restrooms aren't built, then bathroom wars get much worse. Now, instead of being able to use the restroom of the gender you identify as, you're being forced to use the restroom of "other" - what happens if restrooms for "other" are never built?

I'm sure there are a host of other issues I'm not even considering. However, ultimately I think the biggest issue is the fact that it isn't really solving the problem of gender identity, it's just creating a third box and telling everyone who stands outside the binary that they belong to that box. This could even make things more difficult in the future when, say for example, someone who is MtF and wants to label themselves female is forced instead to label themselves as "other".

Ugh. I even hate the term "other", it feels too much like calling someone who is trans an "it" - it feels insulting.

6. BornAnew

Saw this in the news today. Definitely a step forward!!

I must say though whilst the visibility of Hijra's is present in India I'm not so sure about acceptance. Whenever I visit India I see Hijra's at traffic lights and everyones reaction is instant fear, or disgust. So much so that anyone who is transgender is automatically assumed to be like one of them.

I hope this news can mean people try to educate themselves a bit more on Hijra's.

7. Techno Kid

I thought Australia did this as well? :confused:

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Way to move forward India:eusa_clap

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People accept the concept in the us... But personally many people don't give transgender people the time of day. Especially if it's their own child or long time friends.

(I'm not bitter or anything...)

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that part of the problem is visibility. Historically, most trans* people didn't dare to stand up but went stealth instead. Our society teaches us that if we're different, we should keep quiet about it and punishes those who try to speak out. A woman who has lived nearly her entire life as such can suddenly be subject to ridicule if she "admits" to being trans*. I feel very strongly that this generation should do its best to be visible because that's what makes things get better. At least, that was part if why I finally came out but still, I understand the allure of going stealth.

I don't know what the solution is but to maintain dialogue.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So did Germany.

12. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Win? TG community winning- hm :l Well played India. Now if only you could sort out the injustice of upholding colonial laws and Hindu caste system lifestyles which ruin millions of people's lives in your country, then I'd say you're on the right path.