1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Sultan of Brunei Rules Death by Stoning For Gay People

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Illus1, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Illus1

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess even royal people can be savages....

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're just figuring this out?

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Disgusting. I hope people are able to leave that evil place. In a place like that, the people in power can and likely do make up charges against anyone who they don't like or who oppose them. It's nothing more than ruling by fear, not justice.

5. Harve

This law only applies to Muslims. No doubt they wouldn't want to alienate the rich Western expats who're here for the oil; if it weren't for them, they definitely wouldn't be one of the world's richest countries. It's all terrible.

6. PurpleGrey

Son of a bitch!

7. Sitri

I should have known better than to read the comments. Where is the throw-up-because-I-am-disgusted-with-humanity smiley?

8. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Religion strikes again.

9. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardly. Give me some credit. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Do you sometimes feel that the civilised world is shrinking rather than expanding...

Let's hope in the future, some countries catch up with the century we live in.

Happy days :slight_smile:

10. Theron

Heathen bastard.

Karma's gonna be a bitch when he comes back gay.

11. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

:l Not good, some would even say bad....

Welp, that really sucks... Stoning though? Dafuq, didn't know public stoning executions were still relevant, the sultan is a smf and barbarian for sure. UN to the rescue?

12. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read somewhere that in the countries that still practice stoning, the men are buried up to their waist, while the women are buried up to their shoulders, making it more difficult to get out of the hole.

13. Beware Of You

I once lived in Brunei so here is my 2c on this.

The sultan for starts is paranoid after an attempted coup in the 80s, as a result he has been trying to advertise a more strong islamist image to get support for the conservative faction that is very strong over there.

However the coup was abaited by the UK, as a result of that he pays the UK millions to train the Brunei military and to keep a battalion there, as a result he is under a lot of British influence.

Brunei hasn't executed someone since the 1950s, I can't see that changing. Compared to the neighbours of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia Brunei is fairly tame. Death sentences even for drug trafficking and murder are always commuted to prison terms.

Deeply homophobic he is (well publicly) I can't see him stoning anyone anytime soon, its not like Iran.

Anyway the police don't really enforce most of the laws there, Brunei is meant to be a teetotal country, however go into any cafe and ask for the special tea and you get something interesting...

14. Illus1

Hmm.. That's a relief, albeit a slight one. I know the new law is bad but if they don't enforce it, well that's then o.k. (in the terms of Islamic countries),

Yes I certainly do, many countries are moving to more radical conservative views, I know a friend in Turkey who tells me that the wheels put in motion for modern ideas in the '90
    & early 00's are now being turned backwards. No offence to Islamic people but I think this kind of harsh and conservative ideas should be nipped in the bud, not enforced. Not to mention even here in Europe lots of laws have been made/amended just specially to conform to some Islamic ideas/views. i.e. There was going to be a new ordinance to postpone the GCSE's a few weeks because it happens to fall in the Ramadan period in 2015 or 2016 and that Islamic students had to fast and so everyone else in the UK! had to adjust for these students, talk about making religion rule your life (Not taking into account in Islam there are provisions which state that one is not forced to fast)