1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Is the UK a Christian country?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Robert, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Is the UK a Christian country?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BBC News - David Cameron risks 'alienation', public figures claim

Happy Easter everybody! Welcome to the weekend of holier-than-thou hypocrites preaching at the alter of political strategy and cynicism.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron claimed, yesterday, that the UK is a Christian country and that the UK should be "more confident about our status as a Christian country".

This comes in the same week when the UK government has decided to act against schools which are allegedly being taken over by Islam. Coincidence? I think not. It looks like the Prime Minister and his Party (Conservative Party) are, this week, gunning for the Christian vote.

Apparently Jesus didn't die for our sins after all... He died so David Cameron could poach some voters back from the UK Independence Party.

But anyway, ignoring all that bullshit, does anyone here have an opinion as to whether the UK is a Christian country or not?
    How many Christians do you know in the UK? Are they devout?
    Are you Christian? What type?
    Would the Conservative Party get your vote?

#1 Robert, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any party that panders to a certain religion would not get my vote. Also, I thought the UK government was supposed to be secular, not a theocracy.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK has an established religion and the Queen is the head of the Church of England and the Church of Scotland as well as head of state and, technically, head of government.
    The Bishops of the state church are part of the UK Parliaments Second Chamber; they call themselves "Lords Spiritual".

So, the UK government isnt secular.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Officially, England is an Anglican country. The UK as a whole is neither religious officially or in practice. The British government, though somewhat tainted by English links to the Anglican Church, is still a secular government in its larger duties.

[​IMG]

Christians are still a majority, but most Christians believe weakly and many are merely Christian by formality (baptised as such and not observant). And further breaking it down, the Catholic community brings the Protestants to being merely the largest minority or a very slim majority, and Anglicans among them don't constitute the whole of that. So Britain has no single majority religion, no matter how it's presented.

And even if a country is almost entirely of a single religion, that still doesn't justify giving it a special place in the eyes of the government.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically I suppose it is, since for some reason they insist on keeping it linked...

Having said that, it certainly doesn't act like it most of the time...

6. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The UK is a Christian country it is:slight_smile:D)! Just look at the flag(s)... two crosses combined.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

Australia and New Zealand aren't British colonies, even with the Union Flag in the corner.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In fairness to Cameron (and I'm not often fair to Tories) his remarks were more concerned with the UK's Christian heritage. It doesn't come across in the BBC story, but he did infact accept that we are now a muti-cultural society and said that he wasn't putting Christianity on a pedestal above other religions or belief systems that are practiced in the UK.

Is the UK a Christian country? Personally, I don't think it is now. I think we are increasingly secular in our outlook and it's a nominal point that the majority still considered themselves Christian in the UK census. As a Christian myself (Church of England), I rather lament that fact, but I accept it as the reality and can see the reasons why it might be the case.

Would the Conservative Party get my vote? Never. I don't support that type of politics.

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, GreenMan is correct in a way. The Union Flag is made up of the cross of Saint Andrew (flag of Scotland), Saint George (flag of England) and Saint Patrick (a Northern Irish flag).

So, its a flag with lots of Christian symbols in it.

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2014 at 10:22 AM ----------

He is saying that the UK is a Christian country now. He didnt say that the UK used to be a Christian country or that "this country has a rich Christian cultural past" or something. He said that the UK is a Christian country today at this very moment.

Actually they did include that in the BBC article but the fact is that saying that the UK is a Christian country is putting Christianity above other religions and non-religion. Thats exactly what he's doing... He's separating Christianity from all other religions and saying that its extra special.

10. Nikky DoUrden

Uhm I thought the question is if it IS and not if it should "stay christian and all blasphemers would burn in hell" ....
    so my "yes" is just because I know its considered a christian country nothing more >.>

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who considers it a Christian country?

12. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes. In the modern sense, I don't believe it's politically "Christian"(just voted that way this time for fun, the irony given the flags struck me) but historically very much so. I was joking, but like any good(or perhaps bad) joke, there was a grain of truth in it.
    And aren't you both still in the Commonwealth of Nations, despite your independence? :icon),_razz

#12 GreenMan, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, but the BBC article doesn't fully reflect what he actually said. His comments were more substantive and concerned with the UK's Christian heritage. He has made that clear.

14. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're saying they quote mined him? OK. Could you then please link me to another article proving your point?

15. Beware Of You

Since Culturally it is, and England has an established church it is technically

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying they quote mined him, but what I've read in this BBC article is different to what I heard, which was more substantive and concerned with the UK's Christian heritage.

In all honesty, I don't want to defend the man anymore as it goes against the grain, I'm just saying the article doesn't reflect what I've heard. I think it's a big mistake for politicians to talk about religion as it always provokes a furore like this. Besides, the UK's various faith groups have people who are more than capable of speaking up, if they so wish. :slight_smile:

17. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To clarify further, I think it's important to distinguish between countries with a specific religious agenda, like Israel, and countries with a strong religious tradition and cultural identity, like England. Do I think England can still be said to be Christian? Yes. Do I think it's theocratic? No. (Disclaimer, I am not saying that Israel is theocratic :smilewave)

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A small majority of people identify as Christian, but the majority do not practice their chosen religion, only 6% attended weekly church services, and only 37% say they believe in God. As things currently stand, the UK is one of the least religious countries in the world.

The UK has a secular population, but we still have a state religion which seems to exert an awful lot of political influence.

19. BornAnew

It really isn't!!

Most of my friends who are "Christians", do not practice it. Only one of them does.

UK is one of the most liberal countries religion wise (Okay I've got no evidence to back that up but it's what I feel)!

I think Christianity might officially be the state religion as the Queen is the head of the state & Christian.

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many Christians do you know in the UK?
    Plenty. My whole family claims to be christian.

Are they devout?
    Some of them go to church and they certainly claim they are, but I don't see much evidence of it.

Are you Christian? NO

Would the Conservative Party get your vote?

Only if their policies accurately reflected what is best for all, and they don;t.