1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Sun worshippers beware

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Apr 22, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if this would be better in Physical & Sexual health (?), but as it's recent news I've put it here....

There has been a significant increase in UK cases of malignant melanoma, the most serious form of Skin Cancer (story from BBC News):

BBC News - Skin cancer rates 'surge since 1970s'

I know a lot of LGBT people like to have a 'healthy looking tan', so this should be a story of some concern to us on EC.

Got to be honest, I rarely apply suncream at home, except in the height of summer. What about you?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

nbd I'll just never go outside again

3. BornAnew

Enjoy Vitamin D deficiency then trololol! :badgrin:

Yeah the doctor I was with told me this the other day, the South-West has especially seen rates go up a lot!

I wear a SPF 25 moisturiser everyday...but only started very recently. I have light brown skin though as I'm ethnically Indian so I have some extra protection thanks to that! :icon_bigg

4. Sitri

My grandparents believed that sun screen was a scam. My father resents their decision so I have to wear all the sunscreen.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I use Cocounut oil when I sunbathe, so I'm good :slight_smile:

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good thing I'm pretty much a vampire!

7. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, well I'm probably buggered then. I don't think I've worn sunscreen since my elementry school days...

8. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I see no point in being in the sun... ever x_x After spending all week in the direct sun in Florida and only turning my pink skin into a slightly pinker complexion- I'm just going to give up with tanning :l

Still, are we really that surprised? How many people do you know that tan, I can name a bunch... with their, amazing, golden skin *cries*

9. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I used to not really think about the risks from the sun. Then I had a really scary event in college where I had to have a biopsy done. It was really touch and go there for a while, and every since then I am a lot more careful about sun exposure. If you do go out in the sun a lot, pay attention to changes in your skin. Some forms of skin cancer can kill you really fast if you don't catch it early and be proactive about what you find. Also, be sure to check your scalp or have someone check it for you.

10. BelleFromHell

I lived in Florida for a short period of time back in 2013.

I refused to wear sunscreen and I got sunburned BADLY.
    Luckily for me, I'm part Native American, so I got a pretty nice tan once the burns healed.

Still... my birth-dad has had skin cancer before. His skin is much whiter than mine, but I still shouldn't take chances.

YES!!! :thumbsup:
    It also makes a kick-ass shaving cream.

Coconut oil is the holy grail of skin care! (not to mention the over 9,000 other uses it has)

11. JustAKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just gonna go and stock up on sun cream...

12. DoriaN

TOTALLY thought this topic was about the Vatican hahah.

I'm whiter than sour cream and dodge the sun as much as possible ahah, but I have my 60spf under my pillow just in case.

13. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't recall ever having sunburn because when I was little my mum always made sure I was wearing some cream, even though she didn't bother putting any on herself :eusa_naug . Whenever it's sunny out (not that often this being the UK and all) I apply the strongest suncream I can find to any part exposed. But then I do prefer to be pale and the occasions when I do catch a bit of sun just result in blotchy patches rather than a tan anyway.

I think sunbeds have a lot to answer for. A lot of teens use them and I remember hearing about how many places were failing to do proper age checks or letting teens come back for multiple sessions within a short space of time.

14. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Melanoma or not, take it from my personal experience, I've had sunburn so bad on a few occasions that I became physically sick to the point of throwing up. Put your damn sun block on for your own good.

15. snowfox

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like being tanned at all and avoid it to the point my Dad has forced me outside to get vitamin D. I'm old fashoned.