1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Federal judge against Indiana gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Apr 22, 2014.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay for my neighboring state! Even if the ruling only applies to that one couple, surely it will set a precedent.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great to hear! I hope the case expands to cover everyone in the state.

Having grownup in Michigan, I can see where this will make a lot of people down there in Indiana grouchy. That place always seemed like the bible-belt, and I always wondered why it's been so much more conservative than the surrounding great lakes states. I guess it lacks big cities, maybe. And because it is so flat, and seems to have no trees. Perhaps they also have a ban on trees? :slight_smile:

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, actually. My mother would tell you that her boarding school had as many trees as you would ever want to see in a lifetime. I also distinctly remember us getting lost in a bunch of trees via bad GPS programming.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *giggles*

Ah, as you can see I love to tease! It's odd, when I was in Michigan, mainly we joked about Ohio, though. It's funny, it seems every state has one state it loves to pick on. When I stayed a summer in Montana, it was North Dakota.

One thing Indiana has in the Kinsey Institute...always thought it would be interesting to study there.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny, Indiana seems to love mocking Illinois (there's even a campaign for the state, saying "Stillinoyed? Go to a state that works!" Yeah, you can probably guess how hard I laughed at that), and Illinois loves mocking Wisconsin (especially because of the Packers vs Bears thing)

7. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    OK so getting more serious about it I hope and pray this leads to more recognition of same sex marriages in this state. This state is so conservative it's not funny. Last I heard about a same sex marriage law being passed here is that they're going to put it on the ballot to be voted on in November by the people...so I guess we'll have to see what happens. Presently though, it's sad that it has to be because someone is terminally ill before this state will even recognize a same sex couple that's married.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Meh, Indiana is the filthiest state in the whole country. I don't know why anyone would want to move there. Illinois has the better laws and at least it's clean...

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hence why I cracked up so much. I had a couple people staring at me, because I was literally the only sound in the place (I was in Ogilvie at around 8 PM, when there's usually about nobody there).

By the way, nobody should get me wrong on this: I don't hate Indiana. I just don't think it's better than Illinois by any means. I still get pumped for a certain convention that happens in Indianapolis, but that's really about it.

#9 Jinkies, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Personally I used to live in Chicago and moved to Indiana ten years ago. Overall I like if much better than Illinois even if we are rather slow on gay rights issues among other things.

11. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah well say what you will about Indiana, but I would much rather live here than in Illinois. Mostly because the people from Illinois are rude. I used to live close to Indiana Beach and every year we would brace ourselves for the "f.i.p.s." (I'll let you figure out what that acronym means) because they basically come in and take over the town and are EXTREMELY rude....especially when it comes to driving.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying Illinois is perfect by any means. I even agree that a LOT of people here are very rude when it comes to driving (which is one of the big reasons why I hate city driving in Chicago). I can probably give you a long list of places I'd rather be than Illinois. If I were to give it to you though, you probably wouldn't see Indiana anywhere close to the top. Again, I'm not saying I hate Indiana. There are places in the US that I probably wouldn't want to be in more than Indiana. Simply put, Neither are the greatest states, IMO. They're not absolutely horrible, but neither are paradise.

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The state is only recognizing that same sex couple because a judge ordered them to. I'd be ashamed of myself if I had to defend that law in this particular case, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

The AG in Ohio was on the radio discussing the Ohio ban, and said it was his duty to defend the law, regardless of whether he agreed with it or not. I guess by that definition if the state passed a slavery law or any other law which violated someones civil rights he'd be defending that too.

#13 sldanlm, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  14. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indiana has its good and bad just like anywhere else. The same-sex state constitutional ban is dead in the water though. The Republicans haven't publicly admitted defeat, but they know it will mobilize the left in 2016 if they try to push the ban onto the ballot. They won't chance losing their supermajority. Especially since they know they can mobilize their supporters in 2016 by whipping up a frenzy about meddling activist judges.