1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News South Korean Ferry Incident

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beloved, Apr 25, 2014.

1. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I am trying to avoid reading the news...

They were listing the people who died and their description on the news for the parents to ID them.

3. Techno Kid

This is a very sad story. :frowning2:

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unusual, but the principal of the school, who was not aboard the boat, committed suicide, because he felt so badly about matters. That struck me as odd, and not something one would see in western culture very often.

5. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, it was the vice principal and he was aboard the ship. He survived and two days later committed suicide due to survivor's guilt. He left a note explaining that he felt it was his fault, because he had been the one to push for the school trip.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooops, must have misheard that. Trouble with the car radio, and the windows down.

I was thinking it's also sad that it's pretty much the anniversary of the 1,129 garment workers who died in Bangladesh in a factory fire, working in horrendous conditions...and this is far from the only such incident.

It's weird to me how causes like these don't seem to get as much attention as missing planes and boats, even though they are more systemically deadly. Why do we fixate on certain deaths, but not others??? It seems like the ones that expose the ugly underside of consumerism/capitalism are less popular, somehow.

This has always made me wonder.

7. I know, it's just incredibly sad... I'm not even Korean, but my mood was affected by this tragedy... I know Korea is going to have a hard time moving on from this, especially with their suicide rate being like one of the highest... Sighs, I just want them to be strong, and I wish there would of been survivors but now, my hope is falling... I'll continue to pray for everyone though...

8. Mehmeister

lets just hope they somehow find some survivours

9. TurnerDogg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man I heard about this...
    It was hella overweighed...

Dumbasses. Poor people..

10. Tim

Tim

...that's rather disrespectful.

And it wasn't overweighed. The Boat was made to hold ~850 people. There weren't even 500 on board.

11. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

From talking with people who lived in Korea, I've learned a few pertinent background details. Swimming has never been popular in Korea, and almost nobody learns how. Safety regulations and drills typically aren't strictly practiced, and those who are particular about them are considered annoying. The crew had apparently not practiced in a year, and the ship was overloaded with cargo.

12. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    It was actually overloaded with cargo. The ferry had been redesigned and it was carrying too much cargo that wasn't properly tied down. They made a turn that was too sharp for how much cargo it was carrying, which is why it tipped. There are many investigations going on and a sister ship was found with similar violations. So, people were gambling with other peoples' lives for the sake of money. I would have to agree with Turner, those dumbasses are the reason 300+ people are dead.

I believe this. The captain refrained from giving the order to abandon ship, because of how fast the currents were going and in the transmissions between the ferry and another ship, the person was concerned about how soon people would be rescued if they abandoned ship. What the captain did was make a bad call. He could have told them all to report to the deck, instead of abandoning ship, so that when it began to sink those people weren't trapped. The people who didn't listen to the captain and decided to go to the deck are the ones who survived.