1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Milford Connecticut high school student stabbed to death for rejecting a guy to prom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by johnnyr860, Apr 25, 2014.

1. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if anyone heard this on the news at all today but this is a high school that is about half hour away from where I live and somehow it made national headlines. The story is that this guy asked a girl to prom and she rejected his prom invite and now he is being charged with juvenile murder for having stabbed her to death and all this because she declined his prom date request. I just think this is so sad so figured I would share the article with you and get your thoughts...

Girl Fatally Stabbed at School In Connecticut

2. darlig ulv

Re: Milford Connecticut high school student stabbed to death for rejecting a guy to p

I don't know why that affected as much as it did, now I'm crying.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Milford Connecticut high school student stabbed to death for rejecting a guy to p

The next time somebody says there's no such thing as rape culture...

4. Im Just Me

As the first poster said, that really affected me to the point i teared up and cried a little. It just is so devastating. And then this horrible happy-sad sort of pit-in-your-stomach feeling you get reading about the people from school releasing the balloons and saying two words about her and such.
    It's just so horrible to think someone could do something like that. I just can't imagine...
    Even if it turns out the reason wasn't because of prom, how could someone come up with any justification for doing something like that?

5. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

To be fair it didn't mention that he rape her at all before her murder and even if it did this is one case. This wouldn't be enough to convince someone that a rape culture exists.

This is sad but I'm sure loads of Syrian and Ukrainian children died today and their faces aren't on the news.

6. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is rather sad. The truth is back in the day when I was still in High School I too was rejected by my high school sweetheart to the prom after I asked her out and although it was rather a hard time for me I still would never in a million years think of anything like this kid did to that girl. It is just sad that if he did do this because he was rejected by her that he would go and do such a cruel horrible thing to an innocent person. I as well when first reading about this became teared up a bit.

On the news this morning they said there are some reports about the possibility for this teenager to be tried as an adult but they are unsure yet as to what will be decided. I just hope he gets coming to him what he deserves for what he did. As for the Syrian and Ukrainian kids I agree there are a lot of stories of things that happen that do not get enough attention or attention at all and we could pay a little more attention to these types of things.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If I can't have you, nobody else can!? This is FUBAR. Most people would NOT think of this. Some would, but even then almost all of them wouldn't actually do it. Selfish reasons and disorganised anger-induced actions resulted in much suffering. If you've never been stabbed... let's just say it hurts REALLY BAD. Are they gonna blame video games, heavy metal, or say he was an accident waiting to happen...? What about his future? Well, what about the future that he robbed? Heartless little bastard should be tried as an adult.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have no other reaction than to shake my head in disgust.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's quite beside the point. If indeed it is the case that he felt so entitled to take her to the prom that he killed her for rejecting him, I would call that a great example of the rape culture. Most of what people criticize about this culture isn't even about specific instances of sexual violence but rather the background messages that we get from various sources that normalize dysfunctional kinds of sexual entitlement. (Things like the myth of women playing "hard to get" is another example of this.)

Also this:

[youtube]Ab4I1MAaK-c[/youtube]

In fairness, John Lennon did say that this song was one of his greatest regrets, and he said so for all the right reasons. If true, this story is a horrifying realization of the theme explored in that song.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Rape culture is more than rape itself. It's the sense of entitlement a lot of men have, and that's clear in what he did after rejection. Rape culture is support for this sort of behaviour to the point where something like this happens (and then the remarkable ability to pretend it's not connected to cultural problems), and only withdrawing it when something like this happens.

And yes, Syrian children probably died on the same day, but it's funny how so many people only care about that when problems in their own culture (like this) come up. It's not good to silence this as less important when incidents like this aren't exactly uncommon in the Anglosphere.

11. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Such a waste. Shes really pretty too. I feel lately I have been surrounded by death and tragedy in one way or another; or at least it affects me more for some reason

12. Simple Thoughts

There is no such thing as rape culture.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2014 at 11:05 AM ----------

I feel bad for this girl, for the students, and for the family. It's tragic that this happened. I don't know what caused this, or why it happened. I'm not one to buy into the notion that it was because 'he got rejected from prom' that may very well be the "snapping" point so to speak, but clearly there was something else going on. The average mentally stable person doesn't stab someone to death over prom. To suggest that was the only factor involved to me sounds completely insane. If I had my guess he's either mentally unstable, or there were other currently unknown factors playing a role in this.

#12 Simple Thoughts, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014