1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ukip

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sazzyb85, May 3, 2014.

1. sazzyb85

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I'm pretty embarrassed about my lack of knowledge on all things political, but I am keen to learn and interested in politics in general.
    Last night, my family told me they are voting UKIP in the European election. Now I have no idea on the importance of European election but I do know that the UKIP are very against all things LGBT. For this reason I was horrified to hear of the intention of my family members.
    Now, apparently knowing far more than me about politics,my brother's response to my comment " but they're completely against gay marriage" was,
    " they will never get in but we have to vote for them because we want independence
    it makes no difference what they stand for, they'll never get in"
    Can anyone tell me what he meant?
    I just have it in my head that any party against gay marriage should not be voted for whatever the possible outcome.
    I plan to learn more about all of this as I felt I was unable to stand up for what I believe in but for now, could anyone tell me anymore about UKIP's intentions and position in the European election? Thank you.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UKIP is a dangerous right-wing party, though not as bad as the BNP, which is fascist. As you mentioned, it's an anti-queer party, and it's also an anti-immigrant party.

I would be very scared to be in a similar situation, where my family members are saying they "must" vote UKIP.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UKIP essentially bases its policies off the fears of racist Britons who are scared of cultural integration and being held accountable to the EU. Their significance in the EU elections is rather horrifying; along with (predominantly Italian and French) right and far-right parties, they can interfere in the process of the EU Parliament, including pan-EU LGBT rights legislation. They may never form a majority, but strings of rather evil, far-right parties across the EU ruining progress is not something to laugh about.

What they mean by independence is that they want Britain to get away with whatever it wants without anything to stop its behaviour. If they didn't care about what they stand for and think it won't make a difference, they're either stupid or lying; they're voting for them as an indication of believing in some form of effectiveness against European integration.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Western Europe is seeing a large rise in right-wing, fascist and anti-immigrant or openly racist parties - probably in response to our first significant wave of immigration. Multiculturalism is very much a new concept to most of us - our demographics are changing at an extraordinarily rapid pace. I guess people are understandably concerned about how far this will go - but most seem to base their fears on sensationalist Daily Mail headlines, that are not even remotely factual.

This continent has a long history of fascism and crazy lunatic parties gaining popularity or even being represented in government.. sometimes I wonder when the next Na zi Germany will occur, and when Europe will be thrown back into conflict. We have more blood on our hands than anyone else - no other continent has seen the level of conflict we have.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is, of course, when the next fascist regime does come along, nobody will call it out for what it is. I mean, if people didn't call out the Golden Dawn for what it was, I don't see how we have any hope that people are ever going to recognize fascism in advance again...

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

The Golden Dawn was getting called out as a bunch of jackbooted assholes left and right, though. Same with Putin and both sides in the Ukraine.

7. Mzansi

He may also mean that they're looking to create a more competitive and diverse electorate,
    Though UKIP isn't too great from what I've heard!

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Their dream is a white, far-right Britain dominated along largely class-lines with no tolerance for foreigners. Diversity is not their aim.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of like a Downton Abbey situation, but where 99% of the population lives in rags, with a few jobs as maids 'n stuff.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a bit exaggerated, but the most insidious thing about it is that they parade as the party of the working class, the common bloke (cue the enormous sexism), and the champion of the "real Briton," who has either ceased to exist or should be educated so they no longer exist in that sense.

11. King

There is nothing dangerous about UKIP at all. They merely want Britains removal from the EU and have a few other policies like an immigration freeze and re-introduction of grammar schools. They are more right wing and more working class than the Tory class, and appeal to traditional Old Labour voters. They have capitalised off anti-globalisation sentiment and from the Labour and Tory party hatred for working class people.

I know plenty of gay and straight people who will be voting for them in the European Elections and they may win them (it is a two horse race between UKIP and New Labour). They will probably gain seats in the local elections, but winning a seat in Westminster will be tough let alone winning a General Election.

I would not be concerned at all. Many people in the LGBT community are closely aligned to the far left fringes of politics and are worrying about nothing, if anything they are saving us from the homophobic E.U.

#11 King, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. Beware Of You

A few people are over-estimating the role of UKIP , I think they have been reading too much guardian who has spent the past month spearing and actually not covering proper news. Anyway

1. UKIP are only where they are since so many people are sick of the big 3. There are a couple of people here who are saying its racist and xenophobic however bizzarely a number of Eastern Europeans and Asians are going to vote for them. People are pig sick of the current parties and vote for anything like UKIP or the SNP since they are not the big 3.

2. Its not right to say they are anti-immigration, they are anti-EU as an entity. They are against the supernational government and bodies the EU has.

All this smear etc. is just playing into UKIP's hands, its kinda pathetic people don't seem to have a proper debate with UKIP anymore and its making Farage look better than the big 3. I mean despite this smear from the guardiard their opinion poll shares have shot up. Also the pathetic attempts and bankrupting them etc. are going too far. UKIP are a political party we live in a democracy they have the right to exist.

I am not a supporter of them I actually support the Greens, but this slander at UKIP while ignoring the rest of the parties is making the UK look pathetic and its getting a joke.

---------- Post added 4th May 2014 at 02:46 PM ----------

You don't live in the UK, its a bit slanderous to say we are "Far-Right" especially considering the BNP and EDL were chased out of our town.

"Class Lines" Bullshit, UKIP have a lot of support from the working class because the traditional working class party Labour have failed them completely.

The UK isn't diverse not really, the Muslim etc. communities have gettoed themselves in certain parts, the far North for example has more Wiccans than Muslim (my country) its a big problem that needs looking at.

#12 Beware Of You, May 4, 2014
  13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a 'Little Englander' so it's not a party I would consider voting for. I'm a passionate believer in closer ties with Europe, not weakening or severing ties with Europe. We need more integration, not less.

UKIP's policies are simplistic and big on rhetoric. It's lazy politics that plays to the gallery. I'm not interested in outdated nationalistic ideas, but new solutions for a modern forward looking country. For me, UKIP just doesn't do it.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

One of the primary reasons UKIP are anti EU is because of freedom of movement and the fear that the accession of Bulgaria and Romania into the EU automatically means they will come over here in their droves (even though they won't - and aren't). They seem insistent on peddling the tired, worn-out soundbite of this freedom of movement meaning British jobs are at risk.

You're right that voters are looking for alternatives - UKIP are picking up a lot of ex-Tory voters - but you can't deny that they pander to a certain section of society - the 'Little Englander' type who would rather see the UK remain a white, Christian country outside the EU. I don't think UKIP is fascist or anything, and they're certainly no BNP, but I wouldn't be upset to see their demise, and I do believe that they will eventually fade into oblivion - UKIP aren't as popular here as, say, the Swedish Democrats are in Sweden.

Agree with you about a proper debate, btw - the reluctance to debate with Farage makes him look better than he actually is. He is big on rhetoric but short on substance, and sadly, the general public has no interest in facts, but listens to whoever utters the most convincing rhetoric.

I don't think Aussie was referring to the British electorate being right-wing or intolerant - just UKIP.

#14 imnotreallysure, May 4, 2014
  15. 741852963

Speaking of which did anyone see the equally terrifying and hilarious BNP party political broadcast? (***warning*** Terrifying CGI, terrible singing and Nick Griffin awaits***Warning***):

[YOUTUBE]BNP Party Political Broadcast 2014 - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

When it came on my jaw was on the floor with disbelief. It felt like something out of Batman with the evil villain hijacking the TV network! Its also probably the lowest budget broadcast I've ever seen particularly the ending where they've clearly used a cheap voice recorder instead of a microphone!

Also, the youtube comments are scary. I'm guessing the reason they are so overwhelmingly positive of the BNP is due to the comments being barred initially (as of last week). They have probably opened for comments later and let all their supporters know to create an illusion of mass support. Sneaky!

#15 741852963, May 4, 2014
  16. Beware Of You

Yeah its made using COTS animation software. Probably a cracked version of Flash and/or director..... lol

To be fair the BNP has no money anyway, not after their disastrous legal campaign to block the ruling that having an white only party is racist.

But still this isn't as bad as their last one, at least they don't have the "BNP Ethnic friends" guy who was this one Sikh who was there to show they aren't racist...

The BNP and other far right groups are very good at tolling, they have several accounts and stuff so ignore the comments. I find it amusing how some have soldiers and stuff on there, if you go into the UK servicemen rumour forums they all detest the BNP! and get very offended around remembrance day when the far-right try and hijack the appeal.

I love how they claim that their webshite gets the most hits, its because people go on there to laugh at their policies. Look at their video, its only on there because they want webtraffic. They can easily have put that cartoon nonsense on youtube.

#16 Beware Of You, May 4, 2014
  17. 741852963

Yeh, I think it is terrible they are using Lee Rigby's name to win votes. Similarly a far-right party in Wales are using his name on upcoming ballot papers: BBC News - Election watchdog inquiry over Lee Rigby ballot slogan despite Lee Rigby's mother being strongly against it.

Only demonstrates that they are not even capable of offering basic respect and decency towards their "own kind" (white-british).

18. Beware Of You

"Britian First" are a vile group, I live in Ireland obv and they are the group behind those retarded flag protests in Belfast.

Their leader is just someone who got pissed with Nick Griffin

19. 741852963

I have people in my family who occasionally sympathise with the BNP or UKIP, and state "well they do have a point". I'd like to remind them that these are the sort of people who would be overjoyed if homosexuality were to be made illegal again, and would do everything in their power to strip rights from people like me.

I'm assuming hes talking about voting for them because he is either:
    a. confident that they will never be in direct power (either as a majority or as a coalition alongside a minority government) and so would only gain a few seats and a greater platform of broadcast (i.e. the ability to raise issues in parliament).
    b. looking to vote purely as a "protest vote" despite knowing they will never gain a seat. The idea behind this would be if enough people vote for non-major parties it might send a "message" to the big three (Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dem), a sort of public vote of no-confidence if you will.

The problem is the more people that think like your brother the more chance of them winning seats and them having a say in parliament!

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UKIP is an ultra right-wing fringe party that wants the UK to break away from the European Union, which would have drastic consequences. UK doesn't need to break away from the EU, and if it is tried, they will become the laughing stock of Europe.

I'd tell your parents that they are voting for political extremists and see if that changes their minds.