1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Tennessee becomes first state to jail women pregnancy outcomes

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bolt35, May 6, 2014.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The one question I have is, what happens if the woman planned, wanted or would want an abortion anyways? Her incarceration should have no effect on the planned medical procedure, and with no child in womb - no problems, right? It would be an interesting argument for outpatient treatment instead of jail.

If the child is born by choice (of the mother) with problems that can be directly associated with illegal drug use, by all means, prosecute. If you intend to have a child and mess it up with illegal drug use, I see no difference than cutting off a kids arm at the playground.

Would offering better services for pregnant, or soon to be pregnant drug users/addicts be a much less expensive option in the long term as opposed to incarceration?

The sad fact is that the FDA allows drugs onto the market that destroy the lives of children (and families) on a somewhat regular basis, and there are no repercussions except some occasional and questionable monetary judgments in court. How can you prosecute a woman for using illegal drugs, and not prosecute a company for putting out an FDA approved drug that does in some cases far more damage?

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

yea i was wondering the same thing along those lines
    you can't just have a cop waiting to take you to jail after you give birth to a human being. i'm guessing they want to persecute women who purposefully neglect their own children, but i don't know if you can tell for sure with a stupid law like this. the FDA doesn't really care if you ask me

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know what? I think we should just pass a constitutional amendment that says the State owns people's bodies while they are pregnant.

5. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But when exactly do you define pregnancy? At conception, or some arbitrary (or not) point during the period between conception and birth? Therein lies many sticky questions.

I'm truly trying to not be biased, and am asking questions that would apply to both sides of the argument. If I stray, please let me know.

#5 Ruprect, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we put a constitutional ban on violating human rights and being a dumbass next? Also, if they want to play it that way, put men in the same caliber and have them face some time for the outcome as well. After all, it takes two to make one!

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By the way, my comment was sardonic. In no way do I think this is a good idea.

8. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

pfft also when we're not pregnant. Birth control is totally evil you know.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They could cut demand for abortion by a significant amount if they just offered proper sex education instead of this abstinence crap. Hell they could probably do something about their STD infection rates if they pulled their heads out of their arses and realised that condoms aren't just for contraception.

:tantrum: