Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
An Exo Metalhead

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: out to everyone, and whoever asks

Default Tennessee becomes first state to jail women pregnancy outcomes

It's Official: Tennessee Becomes First State to Jail Women for Pregnancy Outcomes | Alternet

here's the article. i don't really know what to think other then it's not a good idea.
Bolt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Einfach Texan

Out Status: yup

Default Re: Tennessee becomes first state to jail women pregnancy outcomes

The one question I have is, what happens if the woman planned, wanted or would want an abortion anyways? Her incarceration should have no effect on the planned medical procedure, and with no child in womb - no problems, right? It would be an interesting argument for outpatient treatment instead of jail.

If the child is born by choice (of the mother) with problems that can be directly associated with illegal drug use, by all means, prosecute. If you intend to have a child and mess it up with illegal drug use, I see no difference than cutting off a kids arm at the playground.

Would offering better services for pregnant, or soon to be pregnant drug users/addicts be a much less expensive option in the long term as opposed to incarceration?

The sad fact is that the FDA allows drugs onto the market that destroy the lives of children (and families) on a somewhat regular basis, and there are no repercussions except some occasional and questionable monetary judgments in court. How can you prosecute a woman for using illegal drugs, and not prosecute a company for putting out an FDA approved drug that does in some cases far more damage?
Ruprect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
An Exo Metalhead
Threadstarter

Out Status: out to everyone, and whoever asks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
The one question I have is, what happens if the woman planned, wanted or would want an abortion anyways? Her incarceration should have no effect on the planned medical procedure, and with no child in womb - no problems, right? It would be an interesting argument for outpatient treatment instead of jail.

If the child is born by choice (of the mother) with problems that can be directly associated with illegal drug use, by all means, prosecute. If you intend to have a child and mess it up with illegal drug use, I see no difference than cutting off a kids arm at the playground.

Would offering better services for pregnant, or soon to be pregnant drug users/addicts be a much less expensive option in the long term as opposed to incarceration?

The sad fact is that the FDA allows drugs onto the market that destroy the lives of children (and families) on a somewhat regular basis, and there are no repercussions except some occasional and questionable monetary judgments in court. How can you prosecute a woman for using illegal drugs, and not prosecute a company for putting out an FDA approved drug that does in some cases far more damage?

yea i was wondering the same thing along those lines
you can't just have a cop waiting to take you to jail after you give birth to a human being. i'm guessing they want to persecute women who purposefully neglect their own children, but i don't know if you can tell for sure with a stupid law like this. the FDA doesn't really care if you ask me
Bolt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 08:43 PM   #4
EC Psychopath

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Sexuality: Out, Gender: Partially Out

You know what? I think we should just pass a constitutional amendment that says the State owns people's bodies while they are pregnant.
Old 6th May 2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Einfach Texan

Out Status: yup

But when exactly do you define pregnancy? At conception, or some arbitrary (or not) point during the period between conception and birth? Therein lies many sticky questions.

I'm truly trying to not be biased, and am asking questions that would apply to both sides of the argument. If I stray, please let me know.

Last edited by Ruprect; 6th May 2014 at 08:58 PM..
Ruprect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Intern AJ

Orientation: Queer
Out Status: Out to just about everyone

Can we put a constitutional ban on violating human rights and being a dumbass next? Also, if they want to play it that way, put men in the same caliber and have them face some time for the outcome as well. After all, it takes two to make one!

Daydreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 09:38 PM   #7
EC Psychopath

By the way, my comment was sardonic. In no way do I think this is a good idea.
Old 7th May 2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Well Known

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: out to most people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pret Allez View Post
You know what? I think we should just pass a constitutional amendment that says the State owns people's bodies while they are pregnant.
pfft also when we're not pregnant. Birth control is totally evil you know.
GreenSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 09:15 PM   #9
EC Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSkies View Post
pfft also when we're not pregnant. Birth control is totally evil you know.
As Twisty, who I am quite fond of said, something, something, Global Accords Governing the Fair Use Of Women.
Old 8th May 2014, 06:39 AM   #10
EC Addict

Out Status: Not out at all

They could cut demand for abortion by a significant amount if they just offered proper sex education instead of this abstinence crap. Hell they could probably do something about their STD infection rates if they pulled their heads out of their arses and realised that condoms aren't just for contraception.

GeeLee is online now   Reply With Quote