1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News HGTV cancels plans for real estate reality show starring anti-gay activis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dinah, May 8, 2014.

1. photoguy93

Oh, thank god! I love HGTV (seeing how stereotypical that is for a gay male....) They obviously made the right choice.

---------- Post added 8th May 2014 at 07:42 AM ----------

On another note, this is sort of off topic...but the comments on the site you linked to - they are so full of hate! Like, hate that shouldn't be coming from an LGBT website. WHAT the heck is up with people?

2. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Meh, haters gonna hate, and trolls will be trolls. That is all.

3. Harve

Don't be homophobes kids - it ruins your careers!

4. Dinah

I'm all for equal rights, no matter the situation, but the thought occurs to me that in pursuit of equal rights for everyone, is it possible that the efforts to make that happen begin to lean more heavily towards one side of the dividing line than the other, and in so doing, the alienating ideologies begin to shift from the original target group to the opposing group thus perpetuating the exact same problem???

#5 Dinah, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. Hiems

For some reason, looking at those guys fires my gaydar LOL. Good job HGTV. Let's hope that HGTV is not gonna be like A&E and say "loljk, we were kidding".

6. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    yaaas right decisoin HGTV!

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did HGTV take on this show because they must have known his opinions.

Here's a quote, "In 2012, David Benham said “homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation,” and wrote in the Christian Post that marriage equality “erodes the moral fabric of our society” and “threaten(s) future generations,” adding that gay men will never find true love."

I saw the guys on CNN just now and they kept saying they're not against gay people, just the "gay agenda." Sounds like the proverbial love the sinner hate the sin. Well, we know that that attitude leads to bullying and abuse of gay people. It's as worthless as separate but "equal." One of the guys said something about "family values" but apparently they don't value the real gay couples raising families since they think they'll threaten future generations, aka the children. Ridiculous.

8. newfish

All the comments complaining about people supporting HGTV's choice were getting more likes than those supporting HGTV. So frustrating! More on topic, I really like how HGTV has gay couples and clearly works to support their rights.

9. Hiems

I know right! They occasionally have gay and lesbian couples on House Hunters. Whenever that happens, I'm like, "Hell yeah!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of my conservative and Christian friends are whining about it on Facebook.

11. Aldrick

No, not at all. There is a difference between promoting discrimination against people who are innately different than you, and promoting social consequences for people who advocate harmful points of view. It's a good thing that people have values, and are willing to stand up and oppose people with bad values. This is how positive cultural change happens. Yes, unfortunately, it can also go in the opposite direction as well.

However, the people who feel upset about this all I have to ask of them is this: Do you think it's acceptable for a member of the KKK or a confirmed Neo-Nazi to be given a platform to spout their views or gain celebrity?

My opinion on that is that they shouldn't, and that it's a good thing when society stands up and condemns those who hold such views. Those views are dangerous and harmful to members of our society. The opinions that these men hold are no different, they are equally dangerous and harmful to members of our society, and thus they should be condemned.

If and when they abandon those views and apologize for the actions they've taken, at that point, and only at that point can we begin reconciliation.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people claim to love the free market until their bigoted trash is no longer accepted.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well said! :eusa_clap

14. wolf of fire

Unless he was planning to use it promote anti-LGBT rights, I think it was wrong to ban him for his views

15. Dinah

Being that this is a question of viewership, ratings, and money, I'm sure that the network had already done their research before coming to their decision to not run with the series.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These brothers are notable for denying permits for the "homosexual community".

17. Theron

The other twins they have (the Property Brothers guys) are way hotter anyway.

18. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you have to say "I love muslims" and "I love gays" it's clear you hate them.
    You would be better off sayng "I have no problems with any sensible religions or homosexuals"

I should be a politician.

19. Depsailor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Perhaps I'm skipping a beat, but this is taking place in America yes? Don't we have a history of free speach?

That's a two way street for us. In order for us to say "gay is okay and cool" we have to accept there will be the possibility and in fact high chance some will say "no, gay is wrong".

Frankly I'd assume the show they may have done had nothing to do with social issues (is remodeling houses gay or straight....?!), in which case I don't understand why they were canceled. Honestly it say more about HGTV then the brothers.