1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage question

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Phixit, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Phixit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a question about marriage:

Ok, so in the UK we have civil unions, and some countries have full marriage.

So if I travel to countries such as Spain or Canada to get married will it be recognised as full marriage in the UK or civil union????
    (I think they’re full marriage in those places if not I apologise for my ignorance)

Also does it work the other way around if I get a civil union here(UK) is it known as a civil union in other countries or does it translate as marriage????

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, just interested :wink:

X:thumbsup:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Marriage between heterosexual couples is recognized and legal in every country in the world. However, marriage between same-sex couples is not. Unless that country has passed laws to recognize your union/marriage that was done in another country, it would not be transferable unfortunately. The same thing is happening between states here in the U.S. Massachusetts legislature just approved laws that would allow out of state couples to get married there. California has that too unless voters strike same-sex marriage down. Here in Oregon we have domestic partnerships but they do not transfer out of the state. Its a long road to EQUALITY!!!

3. jazzrawr

Oh, how i love Canada...
    Yeah, I don't think it could be transferred, unfortunately.
    If it could, there'd be no point in banning gay marriage because people would just go to a different country, get married and come back, lol. XD

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I believe that in countries where they recognise same-sex marriage or civil unions, if you are in one in another country, they will recognise it under their own system. If they have no recognition of gay relationships, then you don't get any recognition I don't think. Which is sad :frowning2:

To clarify:

The UK has civil partnerships, not marriage. Someone who is in a gay marriage in Canada is recognised as being in a civil partnership in the UK. Likewise, I think that someone in a civil partnership in the UK will be recognised as being married in Canada.

But if you were in a civil partnership and you went to, say, Russia, then it wouldn't be recognised at all.