1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) protesting in my town

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Malchik89, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Malchik89

So here's the thing, last school year (my senior year) our school was going to have the spring play be the Laramie Project, however they couldn't due to the amount of fowl language used in the play. It wasn't at all because of the homosexual content, if there wasnt so much swearing, our school would have been all for it. So, since all of the theatre people really wanted to put on this show, they decided to do it this summer. In Vernon Hills, Illinois, we have this place called the Arbor Theatre. It's an outdoor theatre with beautiful gardens and waters all around, and on August 10 the theatre kids, known as the VHHS Summer Players, are putting on a production of The Laramie Project. Now for those of you who don't know, The Laramie Project takes place in Laramie, Wyoming after the murder of Matthew Sheppard (who because he was gay, was kidnapped, tortured, and tied to a fence left to a die by two men), and revolves around the small town's reaction to the hate crime against this young man. Now i just recently learned that the Westboro Baptist Church will be making an appearance at this production to protest.

This was taken from http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

So yeah this protest should already prove to be interesting, and no matter how ridiculous their words sound, they have every right to protest at the event. Some of my friends were thinking of leading a counter protest, by wearing all white to the event, but whether that will happen will still be in question. I already planned on seeing The Laramie Project, now im even more stoked to attend.

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The best way for God to show his hate of homosexuals: kill soldiers! Killing the homosexuals wouldn't get the point across.

If I were in that area I would counterprotest in an instant. What a shame.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read that schedule page and got bored of reading their descriptions of the events. It just seems like they're trying so hard to be offensive that it's boring.

They can't even write a short paragraph without quoting some bible passage that could mean anything.

4. Arrk

Why doesn't that church just stay in their town?

They were ridiculous when they started saying that Hurricane Katrina was a blessing from God made to kill all the sinners and they're ridiculous now saying that all gay people have AIDs basically.

The funny thing is that they say they aren't racist because nothing in the Bible prohibits them from disliking people of color but I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, tell us how the play/protest went!

5. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Definitely counter protest.
    The whole WBC thing is RIDICULOUS.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'd contact your nearest PFLAG and see if they have anything planned. They might have something in the works already that you could join up with.

7. Derek the Wolf

Try not to worry about it too much. You can launch a counter-protest if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most people think these are just crazy people, so don't even humor them. Let them burn themselves out.

8. Malchik89

OH im not worried, i think this will be good. The main reason i want to go is cuz i want to watch my friends put on a good show, and im not going to have some zealots ruin it, hell maybe they'll learn something.

9. Amy

Amy

these people really need a new hobby, like scrapbooking or gardening or camping. or maybe take a writing class.

tell us how it went!

hmmm...my high schools probably doing it this year(our principal says that that the only word we cant say is fuck, everything else is ok). i wonder if theyll come then.

10. -Michael-

You should tell he cast to all go up on stage and thank the WBC for proving the point of the story correct.

11. Henrike

Holy crap, I can't wait now. XD

12. crimsonarcher

I'd go to counter-protest.
    ugh, this is just ridiculous.
    you'd think they get tired?
    OHHH, if they even get NEAR sacramento, They're gonna hear from me!
    :grin:

13. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    This may sound really weird but I actually want to see one of these protests partially because I know that eveyone I see it with will think they are dumb brainwashed freaks, (which I can attest to because my aunt used to live in the same city as WBC).
    By the way, I had a friend in nyc witness an anti-gay protest and two guys ended up making out in front of the protestors, so this can go over well as a counterprotest :slight_smile:

14. Jard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Those guys will never give up. Personally, I'd just ignore them... Attention only provokes them even more. :/

15. Ben

Ben

they make me feel sick, they are way too closed minded and need a reality check.

I agree with the ignoring thing. If the media ignored them, nobody would care about their ridiculous cult.

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a disgusting group of people the WBC is.

But please, let us know how it turns out. :slight_smile:

17. Remember to ignore them and their hateful words!

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If anyone has seen Keith Allen Will Burn in Hell, it's almost amusing to watch the answers these people give. They honestly believe that all homosexuals are scat fetishists who don't have the capability to love, and that we do the various things we do out of pure lust and nothing else. Saddening, but sort of funny.

19. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe i'm just paranoid but hey, better safe than sorry, either you or someone who is organizing the play should contact the local authorities just to have some police officiers present just so things don't turn violent. it wouldn't take much for someone to lose it and it goes from a protest and a play to a riot and numerous injured or killed, but with the police present people would be less inclined to act stupid (vandalism, throwing stuff during the play, some asshole with a loud speaker quoting god, etc.) i'll see if i can take off sunday to attend, pretty sure i'll have to work though. what time does the play start?

20. Amy

Amy

i agree. certain of these, for lack of a better word, apperences, have a tendency to get a tad worse.

---------------

i really want to see these morons face-to-face and give them a piece of my mind.