1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Progress toward Marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DMark69, May 20, 2014.

1. DMark69

based on this story, there are only 4 US States that don't at least have a lawsuit challenging their ban on same sex marriage. There are 9 states (probably 10 by the end of the day, PA should issue a decision today) that have had their ban struck down, and is currently on appeal and of course 17 + Washington DC where it is legal. This is actually incredible progress considering none of them had marriage equality 10 years ago.

Marriage Equality Round-Up 5/20/14

2. Harve

I don't quite understand this legalese. I guess these are states that have overturned the same-sex marriage ban. Is that the same thing as legalising same-sex marriage?

3. Beetle

I'm not good at understanding it either, but I think it means they're deciding on the issue. Sometimes it's fast, like with Oregon, and sometimes it takes a lot longer, like with Texas where a judge ruled the ban unconstitutional months ago but same-sex marriage hasn't been made legal yet. Something along those lines.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it depends on if the state or someone representing the ban are defending it or not. In states like Idaho, Texas, and Arkansas, they are fighting the ruling, but in Oregon (and possibly Pennsylvania), they are not.

5. DMark69

With any court case in the United States, there is always a next higher court to try to appeal it to, until the case reaches the supreme court. The states that want to fight it (most of them so far) file an appeal and ask for a stay of the earlier decision. The stay means the decision is valid, but is put on hold until the higher court can hear it. The more states that appeal it, the more likely the US Supreme Court will hear it, and once they decide in our favor, as I believe they will, it will be over. It will probably end up being one case they take and legalize it nation wide.

6. CuteZhemn

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im not too sure is marriage that great in the end. Your life is better with many ways if you just live together. Atleast in finland. I think the country support people who are living together without going to marry. Like its lots more taxes. Easier life yay :3

7. prussianblue100

*looks at my state and sighs* Still banned, but being challenged. Oh well. I'll just have to wait, I guess.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, update! Now, we're down to one state where same sex marriage bans are being challenged in court: North Dakota.

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is saying ND is the only ban that isn't struck down? I'm just confused by the wording of your statement.

10. AlamoCity

I think he meant that all states that don't allow SSM (except for ND) have a lawsuit lodged against the state. Some states have already lost at the district level (like Texas (!)) and are on appeal, others are still at the trial phase where no trial and/or decision have been made.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alamo beat me to it. Pretty sure he meant to say it's the only state where it is neither legal or currently being challenged in court.

Fabulous progress on all fronts. O.O

12. prussianblue100