1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Far-Right Fever for a Europe Tied to Russia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, May 21, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another reason to leave this continent. It's enough that Ukraine is about to fall apart right in the neighborhood over here, and at this rate we'll probably get anti-gay regimes and absolutism. If not war and billions of dead people.
    So for me it's a race against time to get qualifications, get money, and leave before things go horribly wrong.

3. Harve

I think we're (rightfully) too afraid of far-right extremism for us to actually walk into something like as drastic as that.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you're right Harve.

I don't quite see things as EncagedPhoenix does, but I do see Europe taking a fear driven lurch to the right this weekend. I just hope it's not too far to the right or we are in deep :***:

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Christ I hope the polls are wrong. I hope people aren't short sighted enough to vote for these people on the basis that them weakening the EU is worth whatever other harm they do in the process.

EDIT:

And instead replaced with servitude to Putin & his inner circle and Russian oligarchs, enslavement to conservative Christianity and bigoted impulses.

They're offering something far worse than anything the Americans have put on the table.

#5 GeeLee, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ten-fifteen years ago you could've used the same exact "it can't happen here" argument in Russia. With Ukrainian drag queen all over Top 40-style radio, right-wing nationalists being in opposition to the ruling coalition (and mostly a bunch of marginal semi-gangsters,) and the fact that WWII is still one of nation-defining events everywhere in the ex-USSR, people warning of "Weimar Russia" seemed like silly alarmists. It couldn't happen here.

And then it started happening. And there were good reasons and implicit promises and very careful play on (justified) resentment of "The West..." So no one actually did anything.

And then Putin made travesty of the election law, got away with it and no one could do anything. It was too late.

7. Harve

True enough~

All you can do is make sure you get to the polling stations today/whenever the elections are over the next few days in your country.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those who argue that "it can't happen here" forget history, and, as the saying goes, are doomed to repeat it...

All it would take is one charismatic leader to light the growing tinderbox of fear and nationalism. We never learn it seems.