1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Prince Charles likens Putin to Hitler

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, May 21, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Surprised no one commented earlier about this, so after several hours I figured I'd give it a go.

Naturally Russians responded in their usual manner, with many blood-oaths, penis-wagging and much wrist-cutting.

If it wasn't for the fact that the concept of ''Russia as a super-power'' died, with all the awareness of human rights and the increasingly tough measures in the form of International Criminal Law, Putin would be the exact manifestation of Hitler with a massive percentage of his country agreeing and supporting everything he does.

We've already seen how Russia tries to worm its way around and trying not to cause too much controversy and attention (annexation of Crimea, anti-gay laws, outrageous statements made by Russian public figures, corruption, exaggerated rate of police violence and so much more), doing the best it can not to stir too much wrath.

Props to Prince Charles! :grin:

#1 Typhoon, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's about time some one said it :dry:

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, nope, nope, nope.

The comparison can come when Putin does something on the scale of Hitler, not before. His politics are also different to Hitler's; I'd consider them more the legacy of the Soviets restructuring and tightening the old Empire into the USSR; Putin is pulling the old USSR back into the new Russia. The political behaviour of Russia is not Hitleresque, but does resemble the Tsarist and Soviet aims of being both Asia's and Europe's giant.

It diminishes the severity of Fascism to claim that Putin is as bad; I can see more similarities between Reagan and Putin than Hitler or Stalin and Putin. His ideology and manner of ruling is not the same as Nazi Germany.

I always like to point out that Iraq and Afghanistan are about at the same moral level as the occupation of the Crimea, and that Putin's actions hardly beat the actions of previous and present US governments.

I think it's also important not to judge the bulk of Russian public opinion based off any media at all; support for Putin won't be as high as either official Russian sources or anti-Russian sources will say.

The deaths of Chechen and Dagestani people weren't a problem to most westerners, I don't see how a relatively mild persecution of gays and the annexation of Crimea warrant the claims now if they didn't come earlier with possibly worse crimes.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

They're pretty similar. they're both humans

5. tscott

Russia has a weakness for ruthless leaders, and forever seems to be unable to do anything about them. Why should we expect anything different? As to his not being another Hitler, do we really need to wait until he's shipping off gays to a "gulag" before the label applies. The Jews in Germany were condemn for being "other" long before the camps were ready. Russia has a century long tradition of "former people."

6. newfish

Well, kind of. The name Hitler immediately brings to mind massive genocides and concentration camps.

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... actually... many Jewish people are forced to live in communes in Siberia so... eek, yeah...

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There was more to Hitler and the Nazi party's persecution of those they deemed sub human than concentration camps and industrialised genocide. We should be challenging Putin, the Orthodox Church and those that do their bidding before it gets to the concentration camps and industrialised genocide part.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prince Charles is breaking the UK constitution by offering his opinion on a political matter. Royals are not permitted to do that - they can't even cast their vote at General Elections.

10. Amerigo

prince charles' relatives were nazi sympathisers and he knows it.

11. Hexagon

This is most admirable. I'm particularly impressed by the speed of reaction; it took just two or so years since public awareness of russia's behaviour began for this condemnation to be issued. Also noteworthy are the total accuracy of the condemnation, and the utter lack of childishness in picking the historical tyrant everyone hates most and whining about how they're similar.

I've changed my mind about that twat. I'm a monarchist now. Long live injustice.

12. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Well said Charles, he has said what every politician is thinking but are too afraid to say so.

Hitler started with propaganda against the Jews and Putin is doing something similar with the LGBT community. Germany invaded nearby countries with the excuse of bringing all German speakers under one country, Crimea is annexed by Putin with a similar excuse. Hitler started slow and got away with it before it got to late, I just hope the world has learnt that lesson.

13. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point Prince Charles made, is that the Russians are behaving like Hitler did before WW2 not, that Putin is a fascist (though I and others may argue so). They both believed that there home country should gain land because people of their ethnicity lived their. That is similar to Hitler.

14. Beware Of You

Just saying we are all thinking really