1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Fiat Chrysler CEO: "Please don't buy Fiat 500e electric car"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by edgy, May 22, 2014.

1. edgy

edgy Guest

"...May 21 (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker's Fiat 500e electric car: Don't buy it. He's tired of losing money.

Speaking at a conference in Washington on Wednesday, Marchionne said Tesla Motors Inc was the only company making money on electric cars and that was because of the higher price point for its Model S sedan. Decrying the federal and state mandates that push manufacturers to build electric cars, Marchionne said he hoped to sell the minimum number of 500e cars possible.

"I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000," he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. "I'm honest enough to tell you that."

The gasoline-powered Fiat 500 starts at almost $17,300 including delivery charges, while the 500e starts at $32,650 before federal tax credits. Consumers are not willing to pay a price that covers Fiat's costs so it loses money on the 500e.

Through April, the automaker sold 11,514 of the 500 cars in the United States this year, down about 15 percent from the same period last year. The company does not break out 500e sales.

"I will sell the (minimum) of what I need to sell and not one more," Marchionne said of the 500e.

Chrysler filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and received a U.S taxpayer-funded bailout. Italy's Fiat took over the U.S. automaker at the time and completed the buyout earlier this year.

"If we just build those vehicles, we'll be back asking ... in Washington for a second bailout because we'll be bankrupt," Marchionne said of electric cars.

The state of California's zero-emission vehicle mandates and federal fuel efficiency requirements for 2025 were pushing the need for electric cars, but Marchionne said he would prefer the U.S. Department of Energy simply set targets and let the automakers achieve them in their own way.

Marchionne said for the company in 2025 to maintain the same type of U.S. sales mix it has now, hybrid vehicles that are powered by both gasoline and electric engines will make up more than half if not close to three-quarters of sales.

Electric car sales have been held back by inadequate driving range in the eyes of many consumers and high sticker prices. (Additional reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)..."

Fiat Chrysler CEO: Please don't buy Fiat 500e electric car | Reuters

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Auto makers build these types of cars to meet CAFE fleet requirements. Same reason why Aston Martin built the Cygnet, to allow them to keep building their normal cars.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man, if I had a shit load of money, I'd buy as many of those as possible.

4. 741852963

Christ, its like the EV-1 all over again.

"Here's an electric car we've made, please don't buy it. We can list all the problems with it if you want to try and put you off?"

5. Beware Of You

The regular Fiat 500 (I have one) would be low emission enough to keep them happy as well. Its tax exempt in the UK. The Electric one was designed to attempt to take advantages of government incentives etc.

Also its by car group, since Fiats are pretty clean they literally offset Ferraris who are part of Fiat

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Its different in the US because the EPA rates electric cars in a different way then ICE powered cars. Each auto manufacturer must have a fleet average of a certain MPG. So a 600 HP challenger hellcat needs to offset by something else on other end of the spectrum

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the Fiat 500s I've been seeing here in the US are really cute...much cuter than Minis, and not nearly as pricey. I wonder in 5 to 10 years what their reliability ratings will look like.

If I ever get a new car, I'll look into one. For just two people, I like a small car that gets great mileage. I have a beat up Toyota Corolla, and even that feels big for me. Before that I had a cute yellow Chevy Metro that I loved...very basic, and got 40 mpg on the highway.

One thing about electric cars and hybrids: unless the prices come way, way down, I'll never be able to afford one, barring some kind of economic miracle. I'd like one, though for now, I'll stick with gas driven cars that get good mileage.

8. Beware Of You

I have a 2008 500 since they have been for sale in Europe since 2007. Its been alright as far as reliability goes