1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Fred Phelps may have had a change of heart before he died

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, May 23, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I do hope this is true

It would be a nice end to his notorious life if this is true, and shows that anybody can change. I guess it does make sense since the church disowned him and never said why, and they refused to attend his funeral, only the ex-WBC members did.

Did Fred Phelps die a man who didn’t ‘hate’ gays? · PinkNews.co.uk

2. tulipinacup

Interesting.

3. Hexagon

4. Akane

It is entirely possible and I HAVE to believe it is true because I have seen even in my own family, that hardened hearts can change.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to be the cynical one, but it's also equally possible his grandson is just saying this to try and vindicate his grandfather post-humorously.

If Fred phelps really did feel this way, he should have made it known personally before he died. Having a change of heart right before he died is too little, too late. I think most people will agree that this homophobic, hateful piece of human trash will not be missed. He made is decisions and opinions well know in life, and I have nothing but contempt for such a vile person and I think most would agree that they are happy he has gone..

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. MilesmilesMiles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is wonderful.:eusa_clap

7. Hexagon

So? The message that one of america's most notorious homophobes changed his mind is a powerful one; I can see why his grandson might want to say it, even if it weren't true.

8. Claudette

Claudette Guest

maybe it isnt true, maybe it is. Maybe it's his grandson spreading a rumor, maybe old phelps met with "God" before his death, and he was changed. I am not sure what to believe on this, but maybe his grandson is trying to change other's view points.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

In my opinion it seems the usual like the usual "they weren't that bad of a person afterall" rationalization you tend to see when someone dies whether they were really bad or not

But I don't know. It could be true. I don't really care if it is or isn't. The idea is powerful even if it's based on a lie

10. Sapphy

I agree :slight_smile:

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

^ Auto-correct I'm pretty sure. But adopting this term for my own. :grin:

/see user title

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of hope this is true, especially with how family members have left or got excommunicated for their changed views.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could sort of believe this. He was looking at the final judgment, if that's what a person believes. He probably did. I do. He probably came face to face with the mandate "judge not." What would be interesting is to find out why he made the LGBT community his raison d'etre. What was THAT all about? This is one of those cults or movements that won't have critical mass and would be so irrelevant two generations down from Phelps, that it's disbanding or overhaul, including a new name, are inevitable.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "that it's disbanding or overhaul, including a new name, are inevitable."

Self spell-check: its instead of it's.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

*constipation sounds*

Nope. I still can't come up with any compassion for a dude who publicly stated he wanted gay sex to be a crime you get executed for.

I would also remind you guys that Ted Bundy cried the last night he was alive, and then right before we burned him at the stake, he said some stuff about loving his family and friends. I mean, he loved people. Do you know how sweet that is?

#15 Pret Allez, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  16. Gregarity

I hope it was a sincere change of heart that brought him to say that.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a lot of really hateful, angry people, in the last months of their lives, come around to a different, more compassionate viewpoint. I think confronting one's mortality can have that impact.

I know it may seem difficult to be able to have any empathy or compassion for someone such as Fred Phelps that's caused so much pain and anguish... but if we were able to look at his experience through his own eyes, I suspect we'd see a tortured person with a tremendous amount of self-hatred and, quite possibly, a deep fear that he, himself was gay.

I'm willing to believe that he may have come around to a less judgmental viewpoint in the last months of his life. And in any case, I do feel a certain amount of empathy for what it must have been like, as his health was waning, to be voted out of his own church and essentially shunned by his own family members.

18. BelleFromHell

Wait, Fred Phelps had a heart?
    [​IMG]

I honestly don't care whether or not he had a "change of heart." That doesn't make up for his "Thank God for 9/11" or "Thank God for Sandy hook" bullshit.

My guess is that he had a ton of internalized homophobia, and taking it out on others made him feel better about himself. It's been proven that a majority of homophobes have repressed attractions to the same sex, so the "Fred Phelps was secretly gay" theory is probably true.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What goes on behind the scenes with such people? How do they hold up the facade of keeping a household together and fathering children and grandchildren without it falling apart? He did so until the end. He was never caught in a train station bathroom or anything like that. The wife has to be an accessory of sorts in these situations, sweeping everything under the rug in the name of their misplaced religious zeal. Other religious types such as evangelists and televangelists have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak.

20. Beware Of You

I think he really needed professional help, I think inside he was a severely deprssed man who was consumed with self hatred to the point where the only way he would control it was to hate people like himself. If he can't be happy nobody can, I do believe he had homosexual desires.

I was a Christian and pretty religious as a teenager, I was horrified to find myself attracted to other guys and literally cried all night after I realised. I then decided to repress it and it eventually ended up with me having this homophobic streak in me, I hated gays for a couple of years, I wouldn't have them as friends I was a horrible little shit .
    A drunken incident with another guy kinda forced me to stop with it :-S bit I still tried to repress myself, live a life of celibacy instead which almost destroyed my own soul#

One thing I was taught was never to speak ill of the dead, he can't defend himself I believe anyone can change as long as they have a shred of humanity left, look at Oscar Schlinder he was a full fledged Nazi, when he saw the horrors of what Hitler was doing to the Jews he ended up saving 1,200 of them from the holocaust.

#20 Beware Of You, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014