1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Slovak parents fail to block adoption by gay couple

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, May 24, 2014.

1. 741852963

Full story here:

BBC News - Slovak parents fail to block adoption by gay couple

Seems like a victory for common sense.

Whilst I appreciate the argument that the adoption may cause a little alienation from the childrens roots ultimately:
    1. You would hope by the time the kids were old enough to retrace their heritage same-sex relationships would be more accepted in Roma culture and in Slovakia. I'll admit, from what I know about LGBT rights in Slovakia it will be slow progress but it will surely be better in another 10 years.
    2. The natural parents had their chance and blew it. If they could not even provide a safe and loving home for their children then they can hardly blame a gay couple (who actually want children) for corrupting their kids.

When you have the option of having a child beaten, abused and neglected but "maintaining their heritage" v being safe, loved and nurtured but potentially having some confusion as to their heritage in adulthood surely the latter is the lesser of two evils.

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If the parents didn't want their kids to be adopted they should have looked after them properly and the father should have kept his hands to himself. They abdicated their responsibilities as parents therefore they have no right to have a say in how they are raised or who raises them going forward.

3. Nick07

To tell the truth, I am more nervous about the power the officials have in the UK when it comes to children's rights. It seems that it is incredibly easy to lose a kid in the UK. There are organizations in my country that deal with the cases like this one was. I don't live in Slovakia, but from what I know, they could be good parents to start with. The way the officials work is pretty insensitive and sometimes it feels like they can simply "steal" your kids because of just suspicion, and while you are fighting for them, they are forced to live with someone else. Which for small kids can be pretty hard.

---------- Post added 24th May 2014 at 08:39 PM ----------

Child Snatching | Victims Unite!

Here is more. We get to know about the cases from the TV sometimes, because people from my country got involved too.
    The problem is that all they need to have is suspicion. No clear evidence.

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the same thing to happen to Russian parents.

5. Nick07

That would be tremendous fun, right? :rolle:

What is it called when someone thinks all people of one nation are the same? Do you really think that all Russians hate LGBT?? And that this would be the way to teach them?

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    End of discussion about them being good parents.

7. 741852963

They could be, I myself know some lovely Slovakian parents who are absolute shining examples of parents.

However in this case the overwhelming evidence suggests these people are not suitable parents. Allowing childhood truancy, lack of physical care for the children, the father admitting beating the children. And after all that was brought to light the parents sound like they have not attempted to change their ways.

To me it speaks volumes that there main grievance here is the children going to a gay couple, not the fact they were taken away from them. If the priority of their concerns was the other way round I would have more sympathy. Given this I think the decision to take these children into care is the right choice here.

8. Nick07

That could be true. I have no idea what the traditional views on LBGT are in Roma community.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While the parents were by no means good, and their attitude to LGBT people terrible, I fear that the motivation and the reason it was found in the first place was not altruistic. Roma parents are constantly discriminated against and are rarely considered good, even when they are. The decision made wasn't a bad one, but the reason it was pursued in the first place is something I don't feel comfortable about.

This isn't just about Slovak immigrants or queer parents, it's also about how legal authorities treat Roma communities. I think that the child should have been given to a willing Roma family if one was available, though the decision made seems to be just.

10. 741852963

Obviously Roma, Gypsy and Irish Traveller communities do face discrimination here, there is no denying that. However in this case, that added scrutiny has potentially saved two kids.

Of course there are great parents within these communities but I think there is also an added risk to the children where families do move a lot - particularly from the lack of consistent schooling. Now I only really have direct experience of the Irish Traveller community but it is naive to imagine violence and poor-educational standards aren't a greater risk for that particular community. Now I'm not saying all Traveller children should be removed from their parents, just that we should not turn a blind eye or give a wide-berth for fear of political incorrectness. The safety of children should always be the main priority.

Now in an ideal world yes, children taken into care should be moved into homes that share a common culture if possible (to ensure a smoother transition for the children and a greater support network in adulthood). However at the same time we should not be pandering to homophobic beliefs and practices. I think it would almost be hypocritical for society to say homosexuality is fine, healthy and legal, and then decide to give priority in adoption to straight parents "so not to harm the kids" (it sends out a very negative message). We either accept it fully or not at all.