1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Spooky drive-by shooter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, May 24, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think he's pretty good-looking (or was prior to blowing his brains out), so if girls rejected him, I'm quite certain that they would have noted that he was simply weird or nuts and there was a lot of hatred in him. People have a habit of figuring out what a person is like inside and the resentment is visible like a noxious cloud. The laugh alone is rather unnerving on its own.

Elliot Rodger 'kills 7 in drive-by shooting near UC Santa Barbara' | Mail Online

I do feel rather sorry for him to be honest, since I know what exclusion feels like and it does tear you apart. People should never exclude other people who try to be friendly with them and be part of their group, even if they fail at trying. Sometimes this is exactly what it leads to. However girls (and boys) are no one's property, there are plenty of guys I wanted to have sex with, but just because they reject your advances to a relationship or to have sex with you (to be honest I only ever went so far as to asking a gay friend out but he hinted very strongly that I wasn't his type whilst skating past my question - yeah it sucks, and it hurts but you move on)

If his family had known he was bonkers they should have sought some serious therapy, because someone who makes videos on those lines (that wasn't his first) is definitely off the hook.

2. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He obviously had a lot more serious issues than girl problems.

3. Sarcastic Luck

Oh jeez.

All he needed was a fedora in one of the pictures and you'd have the stereotypical internet neckbeard.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always point the muzzle in a safe direction!

Also, I probably would have banged him, even if he's a misogynist dude. I'd probably have to just have him shut up though, that's the only way to tolerate him.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This whole event was more chilling than expected, including watching him talk.

When I first glanced at the headline when it just happened, I thought it probably involved drug deals or a party gone awry in a big way. There was supposedly another party that had gone sideways at UCSB that resulted in chaos several weeks earlier.

I would not have expected this. However, with all the nutty stuff on the news, I'm not really surprised, either.

6. vamonos

He obviousy had lousy parents. His dad never told him how to get laid? His mom never saw him with anybody and thought that was normal?

They didn't ask, "What are you doing on Saturday night?"

22 yo virgin? Seriously!

7. confuseduser99

When I first saw a picture of him, I was like "DAMN! HOW THE HELL DID HE NOT GET GIRLS?" He was super hot IMO.

I was watching the news, and a psychologist suggested that he may have been "angry with women" not because he couldn't get any, but because he was dealing with (and denying) his homosexuality and was angry that women take all the guys he may have liked. Now, no one knows if this is true or not, but he does look gay to me. The hypothesis is more than plausible to me.

While I DO NOT condone violence of any kind, I can kind of sympathize with him dealing with his homosexuality and his sexual frustration. There were days when I thought to myself "will I ever be happy? I'm gay, I know it, but I just can't admit it to myself. I can't accept it".

Again, I in no way condone his actions, they are beyond disgusting, but I know the feeling of hurt, pressure from society, confusion, and anger (both internal and external from societal norms and expectations).

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems to fit with the patterns of our increasingly violent society, in terms of these incidents of random violence. Sad for the victims, and I most definitely would not have banged him. Yuck!

9. Sarcastic Luck

..I'm nearly 26, so..

10. Gen

Gen

Lets not be so simpleminded as to judge people based on virginity. Regardless of what you may deemed to be an appropriate age to 'get laid', this is not the place for that type of attitude or mindset.

11. juliegt6

I posted this I regards to this on a forum I'm on.

I drive a Jaguar and 3 Audis. And I'm full white. I'm a brunette lesbian and I just tonight got the phone number of a cute blonde girl. just because it's relevant, neither the cars nor my race are why I feel I got hit on. Come at me dead bmw 3 series coupe bro.

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Hey. Just because he's a virgin at 22 doesn't mean his parents done fucked up. I'm a virgin at 23, and that's not my parents' fault.

---------- Post added 24th May 2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

Our society is not increasingly violent. The rate of violent crime, including murder, has been dropping for decades.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I concur forcefully.

Stigmatizing sexual inexperience is problematic, and addition to that, letting laid once or a couple of times doesn't magically solve dysfunctional male feelings of entitlement to sex (i.e. rape culture).

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually don't sit here and criticize posts vehemently, but I logged in for this.

He was probably latchkey if his parents were successful and in the film industry in Southern California so, yes, the parenting might not have been good because he was not given enough attention.

As for his level of development, your assertions are ridiculous. There are perfectly normal people who don't start dating until 25, 30, or 35 and then enter into acceptable relationships. (Clearly, he was not one of them). Also, as for virginity, I have the same opinion of its timing as I do about dating, as described above.

I can be pretty darn judgmental in sizing things and people up (especially with a friend of mine with whom we assign nicknames, such as "Coffee Alone," to people); however, IRL, and especially on this site, people's dating patterns and loss of virginity are all across the board. I am an example of that. I bloomed a little late and then pulled out the throttle to make up for lost time. I'm not sure how that has caused things to shake out, but it is what it is and I still don't know what to think about that.

At any rate, this whole event is so sad, and the sadness is multiplied when one considers how many family members and friends it has affected.

15. Hyaline

There seemed to be indications from other sources online that he was Autistic of a fashion. His problems certainly could have been compounded simply because he had a hard time reading people. The video really got to me and the misogynistic tone of the whole thing is creepy. If you search around, you can find the forums he frequented. There is a huge group on one of the "Wizard" ones where there seem to be other people that fully support what he did. There also seem to be some parallels to the things that members of our group are going through in terms of acceptance and tolerance. There really are some people in need out there. It's hit me even more so here because recently I've jumped back on here and have been reading and offering up what advice I can to people coming out and working out their own issues. It just seems that in the groups that he frequented, there is a camaraderie of misery of sorts. In reading the posts there is this undertone of anger, mostly directed at women and "alpha males".

It is so very sad to see so many lives lost over a tortured soul. It breaks my heart to know that more than likely he could have been helped if he had a positive resource to go to. If you read this and you are scared or angry or hurt... Ask for help, there are people out there that can help you. Commiserating with you is one thing, but constructive advice to work through what uphill battles you might be facing are where the real work begins. Don't give up.... Be brave... be honest...And do the best you can with whatcha got...

16. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He wasn't suffering he was a rich kid who thought oh I'm rich l'll get everything I want . In the manifesto he said his dad got a gf so quick he saw as a kid and he doesn't get any . What a spoiled brat ,women could see he's nuts that's why they didn't go for him. He always complained ,held a grudge bc some girls rejected him as a kid . I feel sorry for those people who lost their kids to a whiny nutcase. His parents weren't around either his dad kept getting girlfriends. He thought that's how women should be they should go to a guy bc they owe men something . Elliot picked that up from his dad that women should be treated in a horrible manner .

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting viewpoint. The pairing could have been symbiotic in his eyes.

18. photoguy93

The whole thing definitely spooked me...

First, I saw the video and immediately thought "umm... This guy couldn't get girls?"

I watched about 30 seconds of the video and it was just.... Weird. What really scared me was that, well.... We all can feel like that.
    Obviously, I'm not talking about the whole
    Revenge thing - I'm talking about being so angry that we have no luck with people we want to date.
    That's the thing - I think we all get so nervous about these events and the people who do them because we *think* we relate to them, in some way. The person was either a loner or couldn't get the girl, or was just different.
    But, we aren't. That's just what always scared me when I was younger (and the media would drive it into the ground, down to where you knew the underwear size of the shooter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

19. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Your comment is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing dysfunctional about being a virgin at whatever age.

20. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all