1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Interview with Snowden

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, May 29, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

Edward Snowden's Motive Revealed: He Can 'Sleep at Night' - NBC News

"Said he had tried to go through channels before leaking documents to journalists, repeatedly raising objections inside the NSA, in writing, to its widespread use of surveillance. But he said he was told, "more or less, in bureaucratic language, 'You should stop asking questions.'" Two U.S. officials confirmed Wednesday that Snowden sent at least one email to the NSA's office of general counsel raising policy and legal questions."

^

Though I'd bring this up to all the people in previous arguments about Snowden who said, "Well Snowden should have just told some higher ups and they would have done the right thing and ended it." Now we know that he did try that, and they didn't do squat because they are corrupt and don't care.

2. Foxface

Well forgive me if I don't automatically believe him

I was and still am one of those people who said that

There are agencies above the NSA he could have channelled through as well...if he made it to the top and still didn't get an answer...fine...but there was a lot more room to go through

3. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Was anybody that surprised? It isn't like the US government has done anything controversial in the past for self-preservation: detaining Japanese citizens in WWII as they were easily picked out of a crowd, retaining information that could directly aid civilians a countless number of times and of course now the NSA wiretaps. I'm surprised it got as big as it did through irrationalistic ideas... do you really think NSA agents, elite agents who are trained to be very professional, get a kick out of reading through private e-mails?

The whole thing was out of proportion for what it was. As for Snowden saying this, he admits he still is loyal to America and wants to return, so of course he is going to say things that simply can't be backed up.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He is no hero

5. Simple Thoughts

1.) They confirmed he did attempt to contact higher ups.

2.) The chain of command is mostly a joke. If you're on the bottom you don't matter to the people on the top...they aren't going to hear you out, and the same people you're saying he should've gone to about this violation of our rights are the same people who gave the approval for it...are they gonna change their mind about these decisions because some peon who they'd never heard of had something to say about it? No, they won't.

6. Alfhild

ah the american gov.... a real piece of work

7. twosoups

Snowden is a hero. He sacrificed much for what he believed in.