1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 1 in 4 men in India are self-admitted rapists

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by all paths, May 30, 2014.

1. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (The above is an article based off of the current news event: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/curre...gers-ganged-raped-village-hung-them-tree.html )

I am enraged, livid, angry as @#$, and sick.

Any people from India reading? (Indian men, in particular?) What do you think of this?

WHY is this happening, in an almost epidemic fashion? WTF is going on in India?!???

(And yeah, I already know about the types of 'social factors' listed in the article I quoted, but: Is that enough to make this happen? I mean, there is denigration and devaluation of women in a lot of places, but you don't see repeated news of gang rapes this severe and horrifying as the last several have been in India in other places. Is there just less news coverage in some areas of the world, or WTF is going on in India in particular?) :angry:

2. StillHere

That's horrifying. Sometimes I take for granted my basic protection.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    India is a real misogynistic and sexist society. India is a country where women should fear for their own safety and protection. Rape victims are shamed, rather than helped.

4. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, after reading completely through the article, I'm just kind of disgusted that even cops look down on women who report rapes, and that the problem goes all the way up to the top echelons of political leadership in India, too. :frowning2:

Nothing's going to change in that country unless good people basically...well, stand up and say they're not going to put up with that shit any more.

But yes, a culture change...cultural "education" (i.e., public service message type things and corrective public education, starting from the youngest grades on up) really has to happen, it seems, to create a sea change there. :/

That's going to take generations to change. :frowning2:

Meanwhile, as a woman, I am never, NEVER setting foot in India.

5. BelleFromHell

Yeah, I'm never setting foot in India either...
    GODDAMN, that's horrible... :frowning2:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is more of that non-existent rape culture, to hear some of you folks tell it...

All of this rape. Just comes outta nowhere, man. No systemic causes or anything...

I just wanted to point out that in the UK and the US, the only difference is like, degree of problem, not kind...

We have the same problem with law enforcement being terrible to rape survivors, and here they are also shamed on a regular basis. Just a matter of degrees.

#6 Pret Allez, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And funny how they're willing to acknowledge its existence in India (in all but name), but everything's fine and it couldn't possibly be a problem in the white Anglosphere.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This doesn't surprise me. My mom went there, and they were extremely creepy about oogling her. They are packed into the trains, and she was touched several times. Pretty dang awful country really.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been around just long enough to see that the world is deeply, nigh-incurably twisted to the point that it has affected my belief system. To hear about this kind of problem doesn't even surprise me, but it does make me angry that it continues mostly uncontested.

10. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like I need a shower after reading that

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like there are many parallels between the gang rapes in India and the femicides in Juarez: in this case, it's underage members of the dalit, a low caste, while in Mexico, it's poor, young women of indigenous descent and without anyone to claim them. This makes it a lot easier for people to shrug and ask, "Who cares?"

Misogyny and sexism are already issues, but when you add things like poverty and social standing, they're compounded. The prostitutes in the US, for example, don't typically draw national outrage, at least not like they would if it were a "good girl".

By the way, the borderline ethnocentric comments in this thread aren't helping any.

12. Ghosting

I was watching watching or reading the news a while back and it was talking about this sort of 'rape culture' that is prevalent in countries of similarly industrialized statuses (not sure if I phrased that right or not, languages don't always translate well).

Apparently, there is a significant link between the surging of attempts at gender equality (women fighting for more/equal rights) and the upswing of the rape culture.

According to interviews and surveys (according to the news), people are feeling more and more 'out of control' (what is my place in everything sort of thing) in regards to the growing equality for women and are thus taking out their rage and emotions ON the women themselves.

I would link to the news story or article, but quite frankly speaking, I was so disgusted that I promptly tried to forget that I even saw it in the first place.

And Pret Allez, I totally agree with you. The 'rape culture' exists everywhere, just... how much and how much of it is visible and with whom it mostly involves. The lack of visibility (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist) makes awareness difficult at times.

Where I used to live in my childhood, those of the LGBT spectrum or who were just 'different' were targets for bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, and more.

Sadly, the community turned a blind eye most of the time and incidents went unreported or only partially reported (meaning, not completely followed through) which makes it look like none of that stuff ever happened when in fact it did.

Just because it didn't make front page news doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The whole blanket-use, "That person was asking for it," attitude/mentality certainly doesn't encourage awareness, either.

13. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Boys will be boys." My god, that made me want to throw up.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, and

this...

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, guys, but the severity of the problem in India is a world away from what we could ever possibly conceive here in the Anglosphere. They are not even remotely comparable I'm afraid, regardless of what you may think. This isn't to diminish the existing problem, but no parallels can be drawn really - women are second-class citizens in India, and are treated as such - unashamedly so. For all the ills of the West (and more so the Anglosphere, since people seem to assume sharing a common language equates to sharing everything else in common, even though it doesn't), the severity of our problems are pretty miniscule in comparison to what other people experience. Again, this doesn't mean that our problems are any less real, just considerably less severe.

It's pretty similar to how gay people are treated - people are assaulted or even murdered in the West for being gay on a very infrequent basis, but there is world of difference between that and the state-sanctioned executions of gay people in Iran or Saudi Arabia, and I can be openly gay here without fearing for my safety or life, and women here can walk on their own at night without worrying about being raped, or being shamed for being raped (this literally does not happen at all here - maybe it does in the US).

By the way, Aussie, not everything has to boil down to white people, and the rape culture is not an Anglosphere problem. This confrontational attitude you both harbour is really not helping your cause at all. Going up to people (more specifically men) and shouting rape culture from the roof tops is obviously going to rile people the wrong way because it comes across as an attack on half of the world's population, even if the problems are perfectly valid and real.

#15 imnotreallysure, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, and by the way, I never, at any point, denied the existence of the rape culture (I was going to edit the above post, but now I can't.. bummer).

17. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

Trying to erase the severity difference is nonsensical.

And just pointing out a severity issue in one particular place isn't meant by anybody to diminish the same problem, elsewhere, or in other cultures. Or to suggest that they're lesser people. Just that there is obviously some kind of extra severe problem of some sort going on in that particular place/nation/culture.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Certainly, I understand, and I don't think an empiricism-loving person would deny the reality and call the problems in India the same as our problems here, at least, not in degree.

19. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Why do you have to single out white people? Do people of other ethnicities not commit rape in the West?

20. Harve

I think it's more that he's assumed everyone commenting on this is white.

India's in the Anglosphere anyway, especially in the areas where Hindi isn't spoken much.