1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News TIME Magazine - The Transgender Tipping Point

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Trentacles, May 31, 2014.

1. Trentacles

I saw this on the TIME Magazine US Edition website. It's apparently on the cover of the 9 June 2014 issue. I can only share the small preview since i'm not a subscriber but I figured people here would be interested. (edit: oi. big images, but i don't know how to make them smaller).

edit 2: Ooops... i just saw where it was in another thread about the person who actually talked to them. but it wasn't a link to the article just a behind the scenes thing. anyway sorry for creating a duplicate thread kind of

The Transgender Tipping Point - TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly a year after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, another social movement is poised to challenge deeply held cultural beliefs

In the beaux-arts lobby of the Nourse Theater in San Francisco, men in deep V-necks and necklaces walk by women with crew cuts and plaid shirts buttoned to the top. Boys carrying pink backpacks kiss on the lips, while long-haired ladies whose sequined tank tops expose broad shoulders snap selfies. About 1,100 people, many gleefully defying gender stereotypes, eventually pack the auditorium to hear the story of an unlikely icon. “I stand before you this evening,” Laverne Cox, who stars in the Netflix drama Orange Is the New Black, tells the crowd, “a proud, African-American transgender woman.” The cheers are loud and long. Almost one year after the Supreme Court ruled that Americans were free to marry the person they…

#1 Trentacles, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. justjade

That's awesome! :grin:

3. BelleFromHell

Laverne Cox is so cute... :icon_redf

Also, I agree with justjade. That IS awesome! :thumbsup:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About fucking Time!

5. Techno Kid

I agree!!

...just wondering, were you making a pun? : 3

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read the article and It provided me a bit more of a glimpse into the lives of trans people that I'd never got. It's not something I understand, but I do have empathy.

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to understand more, I'm happy to answer questions on my wall.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kinda sorta maybe yes.

The capitalization of "Time" probably should have tipped it off.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 11:52 AM ----------

While I'm glad to also talk I think Gates and Holly probably have it under control.

However each persons experience is different.

10. Niko

I was at my soon to be brother-in-law's house over the weekend, and they had this magazine sitting on their table. I really wanted to read the article then, but I was too nervous to even flip through the pages. ^^;

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for TIME for doing this.

Also, can we talk about how FLAWLESS Laverne Cox is? :slight_smile:

12. So happy TIME is doing this! Laverne Cox is actually quite hot oh my goodness:icon_redf

I think this is such a good step forward though because I think trans people are struggling even more than gay and bisexual people right now and I think it's because many people don't understand them. I hope this article really does help people understand a trans person's life a little bit more!

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And fingers crossed it won't cause a whole bunch of people to finish reading it and start declaring themselves experts on 'this whole TRANS thing'...

14. Techno Kid

We all know that is probably gonna happen though...

15. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Have mixed emotions about this. :confused:

Not about the subject of the article, which is us transgender folks gaining more acceptance, or at least visibility in mainstream society. That is a development that couldn't be more rejoice-worthy (although acceptance speeding up would be even more awesome).

What bothers me is Time's sexualized presentation of a transwoman (what a novelty :rolle:slight_smile: in order to make the case in the article for acceptance. In this respect, the treatment here reminds me a little too closely of the sexualization of "lesbians" (which I place in air quotes because the majority of the portrayals bear little resemblance to reality) in mainstream media. In other words, "sexy lesbians" are "accepted" because straight men can perv on them and fantasize about converting them. :rolle: In the case of Ms. Cox (with whom I'm not really familiar, since I don't have Netflix), it seems as if whatever other talents or qualities of humanity she may have are (as always) being subsumed in favor of a sexy image. In other words, I fear that it is the "chaser" who is mainly being pandered to here in order to sell issues of Time, rather than reaching the ignorant Joe and Jane Sixpacks of America with an enlightening, non-exploitative message about the human status of transgender folk.

Although I know, sex sells. :rolle:

16. Techno Kid

I have not read the issue yet, but I bet that how it is. :bang:

17. I don't want people to think that either, because of course, no one can really know exactly how it is to be transgender and it will take more than one little article for people to be really stop being transphobic. Plus, one transgender woman story doesn't describe every single trans person - So no, I definitely don't want that to happen - And after reading all of the other comments, I also don't want the sexualization of transgenders to start happening either, it's already annoying enough with lesbians and other women >< I hope this article gets it right and that there will be more focus and acceptance for trans people in the future and realize how much they shouldn't, but sadly do, struggle.