1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Parents explain why they let their son Ryland change gender aged 5 in moving video

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Derivative, May 31, 2014.

1. Derivative

Derivative Guest

2. Emulator

Re: Parents explain why they let their son Ryland change gender aged 5 in moving vide

They are such supportive parents.

3. Aldrick

Re: Parents explain why they let their son Ryland change gender aged 5 in moving vide

I teared up watching this video. Those are real parents right there, people who deserve to have kids.

4. justjade

Yeah. :slight_smile:

I loved watching this. He is so lucky to have his parents supporting him through this whole thing.

5. BelleFromHell

That video was beautiful. It almost made me cry... :astonished:

6. Eye Shine

accepting people are the best people

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

that was great, got teary during the video

8. IsThisAName

I totally respect them for letting their son be who he wants to be. However, when I hear stories like this in the media of parents making it well known that their child (seems to always be around or under the age of 5) is identifying as the opposite gender, I get worried because this used to be me. When I was 4 I went through about a year where I dressed like a boy, wanted to be a boy, and made my parents and grandparents call me Tommy. I remember thinking I wanted to be a boy and have a penis and how cool I thought it would be if I were a boy. Then, eventually, I just stopped. I have not since felt transgender or like a guy. I am a femme lesbian and I love being a woman.

I am not at ALL suggesting that being transgender is some sort of phase. Not at all, seriously. What I am saying is that the kids that I have seen in the news for this are always under 5, and I worry about the parents publicizing this for the media because if my parents had done that, it would have confused the heck out of me since, for me, it turned out that I wasn't transgender at all. I'm not saying these kids aren't actually transgender, but surely I am not the only kid to have gone through an actual stage like that and not be transgender.

I fully support letting your kid be who he or she wants to be because that is actually what my parents did and I love them for it. But putting it into the media when your kid is so young and can't speak for themselves as much? Not okay, in my opinion. Anyway, that was a rant.

9. Deadellaastra

That was the best thing I have seen in a long time.

10. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This was truly touching

11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family

You know I'm very ignorant when it comes to knowing definitions related to Transgenders. I never really understood why someone is transgendered. However, watching this brought tears to my eyes and give me butterflies. Any open minded person should be able to get emotional about this video. If you think they're wrong and spew nasty comments, you're transphobic.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

To anyone worried about children transitioning early: typically these children are put on puberty blockers which delay puberty and give the child time to think over whether they are truly trans or not, and when they are finally allowed hormones it is usually well into their teenage years so they have plenty of time. The effects of puberty blockers are completely reversible too, in case the child does change their mind, and there aren't any negative side affects

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's so moving
    :tears:

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

They are the definition of awesome parents, and their son Ryland is handsome and beautiful as well. This video gave me tears of happiness.

Also, is it weird that I'm more militant against transphobia than against homophobia?

15. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Wow... Teared up watching this, and I hardly ever cry. It's amazing that they can be so accepting of their son.

16. Alfhild

this made me cry!!!