1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Republican U.S. Rep. From PA Charlie Dent Supports Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mike92, May 31, 2014.

1. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice to see a fellow Pennsylvania Republican support same-sex marriage, and I think Dent articulated perfectly why Republicans should support same-sex marriage:

Hopefully, the U.S. rep. I'm working for will support same-sex marriage at some point as well, although I doubt it. :lol:

More: Dent Backs Same-Sex Marriage | PoliticsPA

2. Foxface

that's an amazing statement

kind of what I thought all this time

Conservatives want small government and freedom but have no problem with the Right telling us who we can and can't marry

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agreed. I always tell myself "Those who support the freedom to own a gun, should support the freedom to marry"

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I do not agree with them on everything, I think that libertarians such as Rand Paul give Republicans an opportunity to expand as a party because some of their stances aren't as rigid as traditional Republicans, particularly on social issues.

Dent is more of a centerist on social issues and conservative fiscally, which can be a winning combination if articulated the right way.

5. Aldrick

Good for him. It's good to see a Republican move to the right position. Hopefully more Republican's will follow his example.

It's always been a major logic fail for Republican's when they proclaim they believe in small and limited government, but then in the next breath want to use the government to deny people the right to get married and want to involve the government in the private medical decisions of women.

These things just don't make sense. I like logical consistency. Being socially libertarian and fiscally conservative is logically consistent, even if I don't agree with the fiscal conservatism aspect of it. That's what a small and limited government actually looks like in reality.

Unfortunately for Republican's, if they go the socially libertarian route, they'd be leaving behind the religious right who are social authoritarians. They want to use the government to enforce their views of morality onto people, and that's just not consistent with a limited view of government.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't like Rand Paul. (Who is not a Libertarian, but a Republican, and one with a very conservative voting record) I find him wishy-washy, and evasive, not to mention, he thinks states should decide gay rights/,marriage, one by one, and not be 'told' what to do. He even claimed businsses should have the right to discriminate based on race, because it was their 'private property'. The man and his even crazier father are repulsive bigots.

Most Libertarians seem like Republicans, in really cheap disguises.

Also:

[​IMG]

7. Eye Shine

Oh my god a Republican supporting gay marriage. This is like an alternate universe

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Three representatives in the House support same-sex marriage, and a couple in the Senate do as well.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 02:31 AM ----------

Nothing is zero-sum, but Paul is generally a libertarian.

Don't know how anyone could compare his foreign policy views to other Republican Senators and not come to the same conclusion. He's also strongly against the NSA, which is undoubtedly a more libertarian view compared to the neoconservative Republican establishment. On economic issues, however, libertarians and conservatives generally agree, so of course his voting record will be similar to other Republicans on a lot of things. He's got different views on marijuana, too.

#8 Mike92, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014