1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Oregon district gives teachers the okay to give 6th grade students condoms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rosepetal, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oregon district gives teachers the okay to hand out condoms to 6th grade students ,I can say that's gross? These kids are babies they don't need to be discovering sex now god ....[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-school-district-oks-teachers-giving-condoms-to-students-as-young-as-sixth-graders/

2. Fiender

Okay that's... wow. Granted, the article says they have a lot of girls getting pregnant in grades 6-12... so I guess that means some of their sixth graders are already having sex? 0_0

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ain't handing out condoms to my students...

4. prussianblue100

Sixth grade!? Really? Fucking hell...

Well, my sister says she knew some girls who were pregnant in ninth grade. If this is Kansas, I'm scared to think about places like California, New York, or heck, even Oregon.

5. Minamimoto_Fan

We got our sex ed in eight grade and all it was some preacher coming in and saying not to have sex, wait until marriage. They didn't go over contraceptives, and the information about STDs they presented was outdated because it was from a study that was (at that time) ten years ago.

Kids are gonna have sex whether you like it or not. While it's arguable when Sex ed should take place, when they teach it, they can't pussyfoot around and act like teaching abstinence is enough. They need to teach the kids about contraceptives/condoms/etc so that they can avoid pregnancy or STDs if they do decide to have sex with somebody.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sixth grade is how old?

We did sex-ed in year 5 which would have made me what...9...

I think this is the most important thing:

"If they wanted a condom, they would have to meet with a teacher -- a designated teacher, the sex ed teacher, or some of our counselors and maybe some administrators. So there would be designated people for students to have a conversation with and then a condom would be distributed at that time,"

That is a SHITLOAD of effort to go to in order to get one, thats so many adults questioning if you are ready for that sort of thing...

It's be different if they were saying ALL children would be given a box of condoms during sex ed, because that WOULD be encouraging things, but I don't really see this on its own being a problem.

Don't minsunderstand, there is no way I think 11-12 year olds should be having sex, but if they are, I'd much rather they where doing it safely than doing it unprotected because they can't buy them and don't want to tell their parents...

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, lemme think. OK, I was having sex at 13, though I think that was the 7th grade, and bought condoms. This was with a girl my age, who was very, well, aggressive, and, as it felt good, it was hard to say no, so I didn't. It would have been nice for the school to provide them, because quite a few of us were experimenting sexually by then, and I bet a lot of them were too shy to try and get condoms otherwise.

As Minamimoto says, kids are gonna have sex whether people like it or not; there's not much one can do to stop biology and the greater forces of nature. It's like yelling at storm clouds for it to stop raining, instead of having a good umbrella.

8. BelleFromHell

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You ever think about how odd that picture is?

Pointing out how that girl is dressed up 'all sexy' at twelve years old, then people share it ALL OVER THE INTERNET to say "Shame on you, little girl!", kind of fucked up if you ask me.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

EDIT: For the record, I am NOT calling that twelve year old 'sexy', just want to make that good and clear.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely believe that nurses should be able to hand out condoms in a confidential way to students, I think teachers if they stay confidential could also do it. People fuck. It's as simple as that. Have them do it safely, at least, and don't shame them into not getting condoms.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was an episode of Dr. Phil recently where a girl conceived at 11 and gave birth at 12. I saw the commercial for that and thought, "I'd just figured out how to please myself at 11, much less actually having sex. Was my body even making sperm at 11?"

But it's scary. My brother graduates 8th grade this week, and I look at his classmates and think that it's really scary that there are kids his age that are doing drugs and having sex.

#11 AwesomGaytheist, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6th grade sounds about right to me?... Granted, it's a small amount of kids at that point, but I'd sure as hell rather they have them than don't...

13. BelleFromHell

I'm not trying to shame the girl, nor do I think it's OK to do so (I also apologize for sharing the picture. "Shaming" her was not my intention). I just find it disgusting how society has made young girls feel bad about themselves to the point that they feel the need to be overly "sexy."

My step-cousin, for example. She's 8 years old and just recently got her first bra. Afterwards, she started making fun of me for being flat-chested, and ranting about how "huge" her "melons" will become once she's my age. While I think it's perfectly fine for girls to be excited about growing up, I thought that was a bit much.

Society judges the value of a woman by how big her "melons" are, which causes young girls to grow self-conscious. They feel the need to become as "sexy" as the woman on TV and in photo-shopped magazines. Not only does this make them feel bad about themselves, this also makes them feel like they need to grow up right away, which can cause them to become sexual way too soon, and can make them vulnerable targets for men.

Again, I apologize for the picture, and I don't think it's funny to make fun of young girls. It was meant to be an example of what our society has become.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

It is pretty scary. I've heard about 12 and 13 year-olds getting pregnant, so a pregnant 11 year-old isn't much of a surprise, sadly.

14. justjade

That's pretty much my thought, too, especially when kids are hitting puberty earlier.

15. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Let them have condoms. The world's overpopulated and I don't think people who are pretend should be raising an infant or possibly multiple infants if they have multiplets.

16. Aldrick

Alright, let me tone down the hysterics and actually talk about what is written in the article.

Alright, so just so we're clear here: In order to get the condoms the sixth grader is going to have to first ask for it, and then he (or she) would be directed toward a specific teacher trained in sexual education. They would then have to speak to said teacher and then get the condom.

Let me just say, I find that the most minimalist policy possible. When you have so many students who are engaging in unprotected sex, this is the absolute least you can do to be responsible. It's also likely not going to work because the majority of students aren't going to go ask for a condom - they're just going to continue to have unprotected sex.

So, from my point of view, this policy doesn't go far enough. I actually favor putting an open and free condom dispenser in school (and in other places in public) that anyone can access whenever they want or need one. I don't care if the only thing the kids do with them is make condom balloon animals; so long as they've got access to them, know how to use them properly - then great. We're probably saving someone's life, preventing the spread of STI's, or preventing an unwanted pregnancy.

I don't know why people believe handing out condoms is the equivalent of handing out a permission slip to have as much sex as humanly possible. That's just not the case. Handing out condoms to people who are sexually active or are considering becoming sexually active is always the right thing to do. Age is an irrelevant factor.

Children are not little balls of incorruptible pure-pureness that just become instantly and forever tainted the moment they learn about sexuality. On the contrary, we want to reach children BEFORE they become sexually active to make sure they're prepared. It doesn't serve the best interest of children to reach them after they've already started having sex and engaging in risky behavior.

It's not our job as adults to stand there and judge them. It's not our job to look at some eleven or twelve year old kid and say, "Shame, shame, shame on you little slut. You should have kept your pants on and legs closed. Now look at what you've done." No, it's our job as adults to make sure that every child is prepared to make the best decisions possible.

Obviously, if a young teen is having sex that isn't the best decision possible. However, that isn't their fault - it isn't their failing. It's ours as adults. As adults it's our responsibility to educate children, and when we fail to do that properly then them making poor decisions is one of the consequences. It's our fault and our failing.

Study after study has shown time and time again that children who receive a robust and good sexual education wait longer to have sex and make better sexual decisions. This is a fact. Handing out condoms does not in any way change that equation, because when you're prepared to make good decisions having condoms is a good thing. Because when someone is prepared to say yes, then those condoms are there to offer them the protection they need to engage in safer sex.

It is people who treat children like little balls of incorruptible pure-pureness that actively try to shield them from the realities of the world, that are actively putting their lives in danger. Instead of protecting them like they believe, they are actively putting them at risk of getting pregnant or contracting an STI. This is why they need to be educated in an age appropriate manner, and be given the tools to make responsible decisions.

So, in my view - this school is doing the most basic thing to protect their students, and it isn't enough. They should be doing more, but they won't. They won't do more because they're afraid of a backlash from parents. And at least some of those parents who get upset are going to have children that will soon become sexually active if they aren't already, and out of those some of them will contract an STI or get pregnant. Then who will be to blame? They will be to blame. Those are just the facts.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... that's... strange.... :confused:

But maybe it is a good idea. It's keeping students safe.

18. KazTastic

I don't have any issues with it. Kids should learn about safe sex and contraception once they realise their "willies" and "front bums" are used for more than just peeing.

My primary school started sex-ed classes in year 5 (though it focused more on puberty and childbirth), and we were taught how to use condoms (with a strange plastic penis-banana loaned to the school from Family Planning).

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree with this. I'm pretty sure most students would be too embarrassed about asking.

20. Techno Kid

^ This 100%