1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Girl asks for cooked sushi at top sushi bar gets flamed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by anthonythegamer, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese*netizens | RocketNews24

I'm glad that Jiro wasn't the one running the Roppongi branch because if the girl asked Jiro to cooking the fish, he probably would've stroked since he's almost 90 years old :lol:

To be honest, this kinda broke my heart since I'm a huge fan of raw fish. Well now she knows.

#1 anthonythegamer, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Theron

Sushi doesn't guarantee raw fish. There is sushi with no fish or cooked fish, just not much.

I come from a religious faith with dietary restrictions, but I'm not sure what the take on sushi would be.

3. That is true, but this place is one of those "authentic" types of sushi. About 1% is deep-fried, let alone cooked, at all. If you see the menu that this place has, it's just raw fish slices, raw shellfish, and raw fish eggs. The only thing that is cooked is the octopus and shrimp.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've read about etiquette in sushi bars in Japan, they are not this stuck up. They are there to make money by pleasing the customer with their art and service. If the customer doesn't like the results (even if they're "improper" and in poor taste) the system breaks down.

At least she apologized. As well she should, because traditional sushi is unbelievably good. :grin:

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If I where her chef, I'd refuse. When she gets it she'll probably complain that it tastes bad, because of course it would taste bad, it's cooked sushi.

6. BelleFromHell

I've never eaten sushi, actually, which is pretty weird since I spent a ton of my childhood studying Japanese history and culture.

I second what Argentwing said. The Japanese tend to go by the "customer is always right" philosophy, not with everything, but a lot of things.

Anyways, I'm glad she apologized. :slight_smile:

7. Jiro's sushi bar has an accolade of three stars from Michelin. This is why Jiro's sushi is incredibly high-end. Regular sushi chefs probably wouldn't care as much, however I think it is a completely different story when it's at a place where it's worthy of the max three stars and the chef is the master of raw fish. This pretty much refers to the saying "When in Rome, do what the Romans do."

You're right, traditional sushi is awesome! The fish eggs are fun (masago and ikura) to pop in your mouth. I like Horse Mackerel and Ootoro, they're both really good fish since they have a lot of fat.

8. Ticklish Fish

i dont think OP understands chinese netizens :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    chinese people can be REALLY critical of one another, if not online, then right in front of each other lol

9. "Aiyah, why you so fat ah?"
    "Aiyah, why you being a bat po?"
    "Tsk Tsk Tsk, that's not how you should do [insert action here]."

Yep, typical Chinese comments. Even if something is flawless, they'll manage to find a flaw somehow. Kinda like my dad at a buffet. Everyone in my family, except for dad, says that this particular dish is excellent. Dad managed to come up with a flaw and said, "If this is good, why is it not placed over here hah?!"

Luckily, the Chinese netizens berated the girl for doing such a thing, calling her a disgrace to the Chinese image and calling her stupid for asking for cooked traditional sushi.

10. Aquilo

:lol:

Coincidently I just saw a documentary about Jiro's sushi bar a few days ago: 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi'.