1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Indian minister Babulal Gaur - Rape "sometimes right"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rape 'sometimes right', says Indian minister Babulal Gaur

I discovered this gem of politics:

It's really horrifying how men in the current climate can say such things, though hardly surprising. I hope the BJP expels him, but I don't see that happening yet. India is hardly a land of moral political purity, so I'm pretty sure he'll get off relatively lightly with his superiors, even if his career is hindered thanks to this.

I also find it terrible that the Sydney Morning Herald can report something like that as perceived insensitivity. The man is a creep, no doubt, but is among an army of politicians who couldn't give a damn what happens to women, especially poorer ones.

Bolding mine.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gaur disqualifies himself as having human rights here.

Also, his opposition to capital punishment in cases of gang rape is unconscionable. Rape is never a mistake. It's not "I took something I wanted without considering others." It's an act of gender terrorism, and it's always in the legitimate interest of the State to punish it to an extreme degree.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even worse, I don't think it comes from opposition to the death penalty. To believe that nobody deserves to be killed is perfectly just, but to believe that some do, but rapists don't, is truly horrible.

I really hope Modi comes out to show that India's government and the BJP is nationally against rape, even if one of the lesser members is pro-rape.

4. BelleFromHell

^^ Couldn't agree with you more.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok, just got a disgusting taste in my mouth after reading that

6. Simple Thoughts

Well that guy is definitely on my list of "Most hated human beings" Actually...strike that.

I don't consider this guy a human being he's some kind of disgusting, depraved monster. He doesn't deserve to be considered a human being at this point if you ask me.

On the bright side ( Well it's hardly a bright side...) it's about time the U.S. had the opportunity to look down on someone else and be like, "I can't believe you're doing that" lately...we've been the ones people are looking down on and shaking their heads.

7. I wouldn't be surprised. India isn't really the place for human rights.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see what you're trying to say, and I understand and agree from the limited standpoint that, "if anybody should be executed, it's a rapist." I disagree on the more general claim that it's just to believe that nobody deserves to be killed. My view of human rights is this: "if suffering, then rights; if imposition of suffering, then forfeiture." In this context, I think that a retributive legal philosophy can make some sense.

The point of my advocating capital punishment for the crime of rape (on a single count) is not that it's vengeance or even that those so convicted deserve it. I admit that they may not actually deserve it; it's possible that a lesser sentence of corporal punishment would be appropriate. Rather, my argument is that capital punishment for that crime would radically increase the level of fear in society in a way that is beneficial overall. It could be argued that my view is barbaric in its emphasis on harm to the body as a legal remedy for this crime. I would rejoin that this view is emotional weakness in Western liberal democracies. I don't really believe that anything less than fairly serious physical harm to a convicted person remediates this crime. I don't really take the view that restorative justice should be preferred in general, and I certainly don't take the view that it is possible in this kind of a crime. Survivors get over it, or they don't. But there is certainly no extent where it makes sense to have a rapist ever engage with any survivor in some kind of dialogue or whatever, as required by that view of legal punishment. As a final remark about the death penalty, although I do believe in it quite strongly, I will note that I am well aware of the racist, classist, and homophobic bias in its application and the very serious problems our justice system faces. Although given my views it doesn't go without saying, I think that capital punishment should be put on hold in all US jurisdictions pending a full, five year review of bias in law enforcement operations and prosecutorial conduct.

One argument that I do think is interesting, and which could pursuade me that capital punishment for rape is actually a horrible idea, is that raising the stakes that high could cause an overall decrease in conviction rate because juries would be less likely to convict at the same level of doubt as they are with the sentences at current levels. I would rather see everyone punished who should be than to see some people go unpunished because juries don't have the stomach to do it the right way.

#8 Pret Allez, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's not the voice of a responsible leader

10. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I could find you loads of links to horrible things that our 'leaders' have said about rape. Including female leaders. Our dear chief minister has said on multiple occasions that rapes happening in the city are staged events by the opposition trying to make her party look irresponsible. So many of these people have disgusting mindsets and they're completely set in their ways.

People saying things like this is nothing new, and it certainly isn't a surprise, considering that it's the BJP. They aren't going to expel him. They don't do these things.

11. trauma

The horror of the new Right wing in India!

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Wait. You seriously think the justice system should be allowed to have people beaten, and that this would actually solve problems?

13. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This bastard is responsible for the lives of so many Muslims who have been murdered bc he murdered them. And modi is responsible as well.