1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The violence is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More recently, there has been a shooting spree in Las Vegas. See the link. Prior to that and not long ago, a shooting at Seattle's SPU.

Two Cops, Three Others Killed in Las Vegas Shooting Spree - NBC News

Here, in the LV event linked, 5 people have died. This is happening at an increased pace. For a while, Chicago and New Orleans were always in the news for shootings, and deaths, as if it was the order of the day.

Are we in the U.S. to accept that everyday life is going to resemble living in Caracas or Baghdad? I've heard that the uptick was tied to problems with the economy and jobs, but this is starting to turn around slowly, yet these reports are more frequent. Are there any explanations for this?

2. AlamoCity

Not sure what to say. If I were to ask some of my family members, they'd say it's because we are in the End Times.

I think we are probably just living in a society where people are growing up without as much structure as before, less discipline, and other social factors. I wonder how much having a dual-income household (or single-parent household) has helped contribute to this (i.e. the rise of the number of "latchkey kids").

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're not immune from it in Canada too. Just a few days ago some nut killed three Mounted Police officers in Moncton New Brunswick, one of them was the father of three, another had a toddler and his wife was pregnant...

Any explanations? Plenty, but I would guess it comes from a mix of paranoia, humiliation and powerlessness. What greater power is there than being able to kill someone?

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not buying the End Times portion. That has been proferred for several decades now, and it hasn't occurred ... yet. However, what you say above is a mouthful and is often cited - there is much more dispensability, interchangeability, selfishness, and a sense of disconnectedness today. I've seen that tilt. I don't know if the incidence of mental illness has increased, though. That seems like it would be a constant, as would be something genetic.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2014 at 05:56 PM ----------

I read about the NB incident. As for the rhetorical question, with that comes the power to choose to go to hell, for those who believe in it, and perhaps these people didn't, were really off their rockers, or didn't factor it into the equation.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There will always be violence, the only thing that's changed is our ability to notice it.

6. girlonfire

"This is a revolution!" lol. People are stupid. Why do stupid people have guns?

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it boils down to the fact that parents need to teach their kids not to shoot people.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ban all the guns. Women, people of color, and queer people get killed even more. Problem solved.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And is this the case anywhere in Europe where guns are extremely hard to acquire legally? No, because our society isn't as murderous apparently.

Maybe American society is beyond repair, and people will continue to get slaughtered every other day.

#9 imnotreallysure, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think to some extent they're copycat crimes, what with shootings being reported on the news so often.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no means of verifying this, but I question whether the rate of such things has not changed at all, but merely the news coverage has?

I mean, really, it's not as if violence has sprung out of nonexistence. Just based on my generalized knowledge of history I have reason to doubt the rates are terribly different from any other given decade in the past 100 years (let alone history as a whole, in which it goes without saying that we are undoubtedly better off than usual).

-------------
    Gun control is a different thing. My feelings on that are relatively undecided - it's just this comparing of now to "the good old days" that strikes me a wholly illusory and misinformed. That's the part that bothers me.

Especially stuff like the "oh, people are raised differently now" arguments - I'm thinking people "change" a lot less generation to generation then y'all think...

#11 Browncoat, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  12. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It could very well be... I would think that a few people might have been more motivated towards violence after hearing about other shootings though, but that's just my opinion...

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm getting really worried about the future of this country. Shootings are basically a regular thing at this point and it's very scary :icon_sad:

14. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This. If I'm not mistaken, crimes involving guns has gone down, and continues to decline. I think it's really just the coverage, and the sharing of the coverage. With the internet, smart phones, and especially social media, these stories are able to spread like a wild fire. You no longer have to sit in front of your TV or radio to get the news. With social media, these stories are pretty much forced upon you.

From a quick Google search: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/

#14 Tectonic, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I agree, America is about to collapse.

16. Simple Thoughts

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Firearm Violence, 1993-2011

Gun violence is on a decline not an incline.

From 1993 to 2011 Gun related homicides dropped by 39%
    Nonfatal firearm crimes declined 69%, from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 victimizations in 2011.

^ going down not up, you just hear about more of it because the media is a giant rhetoric machine.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to see folks verify my initial thoughts toward this subject with statistics. (Being too lazy pays! okay not really)

Alarmist/digital culture and a never-ending cycle of "kids these days are so terrible"... ick.

#17 Browncoat, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not doubt these statistics, it is a happy development, and yes, the echo chamber of the media does illustrate the "microscope effect", where focusing on a single event magnifies it out of all proportion.

That being said, I have lived with this echo chamber all my life and from that perspective there is something new going on with these random mass shootings that is out of the ordinary, and it does appear to be increasing in frequency.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This. If anything violence is a lot lower than it used to be. Just look back centuries ago where you couldn't walk outside without being harmed and people in power could hack body parts off more brutally than now for extremely silly reasons.

People only think society is more dangerous now because back then we didn't have as much news coverage as today. Nobody wants to publish stories about how "this family loves each other and gets along every day" or "Little Susie got a new puppy and things are great". They want to publish tragedies that will get more attention since most people are drawn to drama.

With that being said, this is a tragedy for sure, and It's a shame it happened.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd encourage you to re-think your surety.

I will take 1.5 million over 467000, and would happily take a lower number tomorrow.

Whatever can be done to decrease the number - but no need to spin falsehoods while we're at it.