1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 'Jews, Out of France!'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by norasariah, Jun 12, 2014.

1. norasariah

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is nothing short of chilling.

A video, taken on the eve of International Holocaust Remembrance Day, shows masses of French protesters marching down a Paris thoroughfare chanting openly anti-Semitic slogans and calling on Jews to get out of France.

Chants include "Jews, France is not yours!" "Jews out of France" and "The story of the gas chambers is bull***!" At one point, in a show of raw, seething hatred, the crowd simply spits out the word "Jew, Jew, Jew!"

Many of the marchers can be seen giving the "quenelle" inverted Nazi salute popularized by anti-Semitic comedian Dieudonne. The gesture is seen as a way for anti-Semites to give a Nazi salute without incurring the wrath of authorities - although one demonstrator can be seen giving a full-on Nazi salute as well.

It was part of a "Day of Anger" called by anti-government activists in protest of a variety of "anti-establishment" causes. French police estimated that around 17,000 people had attended the march, and said that 250 had been arrested. Police told AFP news agency that 19 police officers were injured in clashes with demonstrators, one seriously.

Despite claims by Dieudonne and some of his supporters that it is simply an innocent "up yours" or "anti-establishment" gesture, it has been adopted by a vast range of anti-Semites, from the far-right to Muslim extremists, many of whom post online pictures of themselves making the salute in front of sensitive sites such as Holocaust memorials, synagogues, and even the school in Toulouse at which an Islamist gunman murdered a rabbi and three Jewish children.

Dieudonne himself has a long history of anti-Semitic comments and shows, including a recent video in which he implies the Jewish victims of the Holocaust may themselves be to blame for their own genocide.

Apart from the quenelle gestures, the marchers can clearly be heard singing a song mocking the Holocaust composed by Dieudonne, entitled "Shoananas". The song is yet another masterful attempt by Dieudonne to trivialize and legitimize anti-Semitism; it is a play on the Hebrew word for the Holocaust (Shoah) and the French word for pineapple (ananas).

Article taken from here. Share your thoughts.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been going on for years. I know of many French Jews who have moved to Quebec because of this rather nasty environment. The same is happening in Belgium and other countries. Irony of ironies, Germany may be the most welcoming (relatively) place for Jews in Europe today!

Europe never learns...it doesn't seem to want to.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if France is any worse for antisemitism, but they are certainly known for being more vocal about things that they dislike, and willing to take to the streets and protest whenever the opportunity arises. It's like how same-sex marriage was protested quite heavily in Paris, even though France is generally very accepting of homosexuals.

I think it's a case of a very vocal and unpleasant minority shouting the loudest. Certainly scary, but unfortunately skinheads, neo-Nazis and far-right fascists have always been present in Europe.

#3 imnotreallysure, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. Nick07

I have nothing but respect for Jews. And I am glad our little European country has have a strong bond with Israel for decades. I hope it stays that way.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

France has always been among the most anti-Semitic countries in Europe...remember the Dreyfus Affair?

As for Germany, it isn't that ironic that it is one of the safest places for Jews in Europe these days. Other than that whole Nazi thing, Germany was a relatively welcoming place for Jews, especially during the Weimar Republic.

But France really has been going downhill, the far-right is on the rise, Front National is doing very well in elections and expected to be doing even better in upcoming elections.

6. Theron

Jews aren't the only ones. The Middle East (and parts of Africa) punish Christians, Americans are often judgmental of Muslims. It's sad that it still exists, though, and it's just pathetic to see people deny the horrors of the Holocaust.

My fiance and I are both Jewish. My grandmother had to flee Spain, and all of my fiance's grandparents (3 French, 1 German) had to leave Europe as well.

For the most part my fiance has no difficulty with people around here, but now and then I'll be called racist remarks because of my dark hair and skin. Incorrect ones, but still racist ones.

7. Mzansi

Don't agree with what they're doing,
    Though with what's happening in Israel I can see where it's coming from,
    Sadly I've seen as much hate from Jewish people before,
    And though neither are right,
    There is a whole history that predates these protests.

8. girlonfire

Most of my family was murdered in the holocaust, just for being Jewish. Anyone with my last name is related to me, because the rest were killed off.

This is one of those times when I'm so incredibly thankful I live in America and not Europe. This is scary.

When will people stop blaming us for things we can't control?