1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Witch Hunt" Against Gays and Supporters in Public High School

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26316235

I expect nothing different from a "small, rural town in the Bible Belt with strong Christian beliefs". A student who complained to her principal that people were mocking her sexuality was alienated and punished, and when other students wore t-shirts to support her, the same principal went around asking people if they were gay or supportive. Several such students were suspended.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, how could a Principal of a school be so stupid! I would love to get a job doing these "sensitivity trainings".

3. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is really sad that none of this surprises me anymore :frowning2:. Some people are just SOOOO ignorant, and I honestly feel worse for the principal than I do the student. She will be able to move on, but he may live his whole life without ever developing tolerance!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Principal was demoted and can still teach? He shouldn't be teaching at all! I hope the school district comes to its senses.

Me too Becky!

5. Chris

that principal needs to rethink HIS principals, no pun intended!

6. J Schuelke

It makes me both sad and angry when I hear of how ignorant and stubborn people can get. Apparently the people in that community have never heard the word acceptance. It is hard to deal with the religous type because their faith keeps them so uptight and when something happens that "threatens" their beliefs comes up, they make a huge deal out of it.

I feel bad for the girl since she was outed to her friends and family probably before she was ready.

As for the ex-principal, I think he shouldn't be teaching until he learns that today's age is turning into something different than what he believes and that he should just accept it.

7. How sad:eusa_naug

8. Nitro

If that were true, the "Jane Doe" would not have had to contact her principal because people wouldn't be taunting her.

9. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like how the students talk about how they want to be able to wear all types of shirts or pins, etc...from gay pride, to confederate flags to show southern pride, or I'd imagine religious images to show pride in different religions. I don't feel comfortable with the ACLU's opinion that "I hate gays" should be censored. There's always going to be something someone finds offensive and we can't start (or continue) to limit free speech like that. It's a slippery slope. Besides, it's more telling of the wearer--if they want to promote a positive or negative message and what they want the world to know/think of them.

Occassionally, the ACLU does some good, but maybe just 1% of the time. They basically use people in tough situations to promote their own extremist agendas. So like in this circumstance, they think, 'free speech for all (that agree with us)'. They swoop in, take action, then leave the locals to pick up the pieces. Here, the ACLU charged 325,000 dollars to the school district for their court fees. If they really are just for "the common man", why didn't they not charge anything, or if necessary just a small fee?
    If anything, as the article suggested, this would justly anger the town because they must pay all of that in taxes.

Do you think taxing a difference of opinion is a way to help people grasp tolerance? Appropriately, it took place in a school where the "group" is always punished for the actions of an individual, but it doesn't make it right.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The free-speech boundary is crossed (for schools, at least) when it involves flat-out hate and bigotry. "I Hate Blacks" and "I Hate Women" would never be tolerated in public schools, by anyone. "I Hate Asians" would be struck down right away. "I Hate Gays" should get the same treatment.

11. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I could not agree more.

12. Sam

Sam

This kind of stuff upsets me. How long is it going to take for this kind of stuff to stop?

13. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow...this is ridiculous....if you look on the live poll on the article...while 74% percent believe principal should have lost his job, 16% still think the principal did nothing wrong...16....

14. Endlessnight500

This is sad. I feel sorry for all of the people of that comunity, because everyone has to pay for what happened, even the people who supported the girl and the gay community. I think that they should have stripped the man from his Job, and I agree with sencitivity training for the education system. $350,000 Is an obsceinly large amount to come out of the Education system in a small town. That Is alot of money that may have helped people achieve there dream. I dont agree with anything the Principal did, but I really don't think that the entire education system should pay for it.

15. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The most disturbing part about this whole thing is that I am no longer surprised by such news.

But this story does bring a glimmer of hope. While the principle harassed students for being gay or merely supporting the lesbian student. It should be realized that unlike in many small towns where this would have gone unnoticed students who grew up in that small town actually rose up and defied the principle for outing the student.

Ultimately they were suspended for merely wearing gay pride shirts, but remember that they actually did. Even in a small bible belt town students are emerging who are more understanding and far more tolerant of different people. Hopefully this will mean a much brighter future for gays, lesbians, and indeed all of humanity.

16. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am going to find that principal and have him drawn and quartered.

17. donnie5

this sickens me

18. Holy sh*t. If that happened to me, that principal would have had a lawsuit on his hands faster than he could've said "lawsuit."

Oh gee, kind of like how you're forcing your beliefs of homosexuality on the students? (insert expletives here)

I'll help. Let's cut off a few fingers and toes first, though.

19. Greggers

That sounds like were i come from.

A teacher was "let go" because students spread RUMORS that he was gay, and he wasn't! Nothing surprises me anymore. Im sure if i looked hard, the school library carries a book called "Your different and thats bad!" along with various other titles about the same subject.

20. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This just makes me sick. IMHO, people with such judgmental and discriminatory attitudes are the furthest thing from Christians.