1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Older people and AIDS

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Molly1977, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Molly1977

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am glad you brought this up. This article addresses the situation in the UK.

I have only seen a few items such as this in the States. One was on TV and it showed people in their 60s and 70s in San Francisco who presumably were infected in the '80s, have had their ups and downs, are now on the right drugs, and are just sort of existing. One man was showing the camera how it had affected his mobility and how he was battling with arthritis and it had affected certain limbs and digits.

Another article in the paper, in 2011, was about 'AIDS at 30.' It talked about a banker who learned he was seropositive in the early '90s and, because of the virus and its effects, had to quit being a banker. He is still sharp but not sharp enough to deal with the complexities of being a big time banker. He now lives a healthy life style and exercises so, per the photo, he appears to be in excellent shape.

I'm sure there are others like this. In being real, the person who was programmed, so to speak, to live to 80 or 85 will realistically go about 10 or so years earlier because of the virus. That's still a somewhat long life compared to those who were fighting in the War for Independence, for example, but it remains to be seen whether those diagnosed with AIDS, and more than just being seropositive, can make it to 85 or 90 with a high quality of life up until the very end.