1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Luxembourg will most probably have gay marriage AND adoption by tonight !

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FrenchKid98, Jun 18, 2014.

1. FrenchKid98

Luxembourg will most probably have gay marriage AND adoption by tonight !

The article is in French: L'essentiel Online - Gays et lesbiennes peuvent prévoir leurs noces - Luxembourg

I took the liberty to do a small, quick translation:

2. markosss

i have read a similar article! :slight_smile: thats great!

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Magnifique travail! Je crois qu'ils peuvent réussir leur vote facilement.

This is great news, though the whole Juncker affair is kind of hushing up Luxembourg's other achievements to the overseas world. I'm so glad this is happening, but your big neighbour *cough* Germany *cough* still somewhat lags behind.

I'm so happy that this is happening, though. One more country down is a big step, even if it's as small as Luxembourg.

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

One more reason to love Luxembourg c:

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for Luxembourg. I'm still waiting for Germany and Finland.

6. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  7. FrenchKid98

I am actually very happy that the country I've lived in all my life has equal rights for marriage and adoption :slight_smile: (!) (!)

The following article announces that the law passed (in French): L'essentiel Online - Les députés disent oui au mariage homosexuel - Luxembourg

For those interested, the translation is below, courtesy of me :grin: :

I wanted to point out that when they talk about an electronic petition in the articles, they are talking about an official petition system on the website of the Chamber, kind of like the White House petition system (although in Luxembourg petitions need approval before being published), and when a petition reaches the minimum amount of signatures required, it launches a debate. The minimum amount of signatures required is 4500 which means that less than 4500 people actually signed the online petition against the law!

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

Yeah I haven't been following the Juncker affair very thoroughly but from what I've seen, to me it's just public fighting if that makes sense and I think all that case is pretty much bullshit. I think that it is trash reporting with the Sun and the Nazi allegations...
    By the way, do you actually speak a bit of french, because I think I had seen you post something else in french somewhere in the forum...?

What's not to love about Luxembourg lol. No I'm kidding, Luxembourg is not perfect and there are bad things and some things need to change but I like that country and I'm happy I have been living there for the past 16 years. It is a very stable country, politically and economically and most people are pretty open minded. And we have an openly gay Prime Minister :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

And I will add this in case anyone is wondering, even though I have been living in Luxembourg all my life (the past 16 years) and I was actually born there as well, I am still french

#7 FrenchKid98, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. Harve

I'm most probably visiting Luxembourg at the end of summer! Awesome!

The whole Juncker thing is complete crap. The Sun is (one of) the worst.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That not even 4500 people signed it is amazing. :lol: Not even a small victory.

And yeah, the Juncker affair is rubbish, but at least we've gotten some good news this week. :grin: And yeah, I speak quite a bit of French (I study it in a school jointly owned by the French and Australian governments and a strong languages tradition).

I find it pretty amusing that they've stopped short from openly saying that the opponents are homophobes. Are their feelings so precious?

10. FrenchKid98

Yeah that not even 4500 signed is impressive. We do have to keep in mind that some people might not have been able to sign because of the fact it was online and also the association that created the petition said they had reached the minimum with "paper" signatures but they only had an extra 1500 I believe and they weren't accepted because it did not follow the official legal procedure plus there was no way to check if the signature were real. Even keeping that in mind it is very impressive and makes me very happy (!)

My guess is that they wanna keep social and nice relationships in between parties which is why they were cautious with their declarations and kept it extremely politically correct which is why they didn't call the opponents homophobes.

I never thought I'd hear about French classes in an Australian school. I didn't think there would even be French classes. It's nice to know lol :grin: So if you speak quite a bit of French, you can rate my translation lol :grin:

11. One Man Army

I love Luxembourg. I went there for a long weekend last year and really enjoyed it. Ok, it's bloody tiny but it's good to see that gay marriage and adoption has been legalised with little opposition :slight_smile:

12. FrenchKid98

It is indeed pretty small :grin:
    But sometimes I like that, you might see people you know anywhere you go which can be nice. Okay sometimes if you wanna be some place kinda incognito then it's not really possible but most of the times it's pretty nice. I'm glad you had fun visiting :slight_smile: Even though I'm not Luxembougish, I feel a pretty strong connection to the country after living there all my life

Just curious, did anyone actually had a use for my translation cause I feel maybe it wasn't really needed lol.... I don't know I was so happy and enthusiastic I just translated the article without really feeling like it was work. I have ADHD so for it to be so easy I guess I was extremely happy :grin:

#12 FrenchKid98, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  13. AlamoCity

The whole Benelux region is a marriage equality zone (!)(!)(!)

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Does this mean that gays and lesbians can adopt new born babies (!)

15. FrenchKid98

I'm not sure because I haven't read the text of the law and there has been little details about the specifics for now but it does say in the first article:

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think so...

18. Mzansi

I'm sorry but given the stance Europe takes on such issues,
    This is a little late,
    In general!

Though I'm glad it's finally happening :slight_smile:

19. FrenchKid98

Yeah it could have happened earlier but the law was in debate for 5 years and a lot of times in Luxembourg it takes a very long time for a law to be put to vote...
    But there was already the pacs system, which is the civil union where, in Luxembourg, it was also for straight couples and it gave the same rights than marriage to gay couples except full joint adoption.

It might have taken a bit too long for the law to pass but it stands out from a lot of countries, included other European countries on the adoption part as it gives the same full legal rights to gay couples to adoption and maybe eventually medically assisted procreation (or whatever the name for that is). (Plus there are also some European countries with no marriage equality and I'm not even sure there are possibilities of civil unions for gay couples in all European countries with no marriage equality...)

And I very happy that the country I live in is so open minded :slight_smile: I read somewhere that in 2013, 83% of people were in favor of marriage equality and more than 50% in favor of adoption.

#19 FrenchKid98, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  20. lonelywisp

Out Status:
    A few people
    So glad that LGBT rights are being discussed internationally and not just here in the US. Way to go, world!