1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Girls rule: Dress code debate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LonestarConnie, Jun 22, 2014.

1. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. hoodie boy

While I agree that these dress codes could potentially further the objectification of women, I also recognize the need to enforce a professional standard for school attire. When an individual wears revealing or tight clothing, regardless of gender, it can be distracting to others. Dressing immodestly can be perfectly reasonable when you're in the company of friends, but in the company of strangers it may come across as disrespectful.

I respect these young women for taking a stand against what appears to be an unfair stereotyping of both genders. If school administration finds clothing inappropriate for students, they should label it unprofessional or disrespectful, not 'distracting to male / female students'.

Young women seem to suffer from more restrictions than men. Perhaps equal sanctions should be applied to both genders in order to combat this inequality?