1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Jerry Sandusky, Penn State, Joe Paterno ...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this on the homepage this morning. While Penn State is so far away and this seems surreal, it's also very disturbing.

Report: 'Inexplicable Delays,' No Political Interference in Jerry Sandusky Case - NBC News

The article says there were delays, which I could almost see because of the bureaucracy and making sure they didn't blow putting their case together. The report also says there was no governmental leniency in the prosecution. Well, he will be spending the rest of his life behind bars, unless he lives to be over 100.

I've always wondered a few things:
    1) What motivated Sandusky? Did it happen to him? If he wielded so much power in real life, why did he feel so powerless that he had to resort to this?
    2) How could his wife NOT know? If he did this a few times, then I could believe it. With a pattern, I don't believe it?
    3) Coach Joe Paterno died (he was in his 80s) within 6 months of this thing blowing up. Do you think the turmoil was something that was too much for his legacy and this accelerated a decline in health? Do you think he thought Sandusky was up to no good and swept it under the rug or was Paterno just in denial?

This whole case will always remain perplexing. I also really feel for Sandusky's kids, now in their 30s and 40s, who have this albatross they have to carry around. The victims hurt. His kids hurt, too.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see no way Sandusky's wife didn't know what was going on. But denial can be incredibly powerful. Often we see cases where a child is sexually abused by his or her father, for years, with the mother present in the home, and the mother managed to deny everything that was going on, even when the child came to her.

It can happen for a variety of reasons, but I could imagine that perhaps she didn't want to confront the idea of giving up her storybook wonderful life to confront the reality. And, of course, the fact that Jerry Sandusky still absolutely denies anything inappropriate went on is an indication that either he's a sociopath with no ability to feel empathy or remorse... or he's so deep in his own denial that he honestly believes that nothing he did was wrong.

In either case, it's really fucked up.

As for Paterno... I think he was partially in denial, and partially didn't want anything to interfere with his reputation and his team. I remember reading an interview a month or two before he died in which he essentially said that his life and his reputation was in ruins. No mention (or at least, no meaningful mention) of all the kids that had been hurt, or the damage to the institution... it was all about him. So perhaps they both had a bit of narcissistic behavior going on.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this today ... one of Jerry Sandusky's kids comes forth regarding sexual abuse, and we're not talking about an incident or two. We are talking numerous. I believe there were 5 or 6 adopted children. I figured this sort of thing couldn't go on and on without his getting "sloppy." I wonder if there are even more people affected. Time will tell.

Not that I really even care about how Sandusky feels, but I wonder what's going through his head while he sits in prison. I wonder if knowing that one of his sons came forward with an account of abuse has dealt him another blow. Or, maybe, he is numb and doesn't care. This also really looks bad for his wife and would indicate that she should have known.

Jerry Sandusky's adopted son to speak out about sexual abuse for first time | FOX Sports on MSN

I couldn't believe that was Oprah in the picture in this article. It's like the hands of time have been turned back.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Penn State used to be my second favorite Big Ten team. I'd root for them every game that they weren't playing Michigan. But ever since then, I just can't.

Not only did Penn State's administration cover the whole thing up, but when the story finally broke, they used it as a cheap opportunity to get the "change in leadership" that many Penn State football fans/insiders had wanted. After 46 seasons, there had been calls for a new football coach. Instantly after the sexual abuse story broke, the first words out of the University President's mouth was "Joe Paterno has been fired."

So not only did they allow a coach to rape children on their property, use their football program to groom children, and issue a cover up when Joe Paterno came forward with what he'd heard from Mike McQueary, but then used it as an excuse to get rid of Paterno and appease the big donors.

Every time I turn on the Big Ten Network and see a classic Penn State football game, I can't help but think that somewhere in Happy Valley, the second biggest football stadium in America, was another child that Jerry Sandusky gave tickets to get him to think he was the coolest guy ever as part of the grooming process. Who was later violated by that POS.