1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News LOOK: Starbucks' latest move for lgbt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LonestarConnie, Jun 23, 2014.

1. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gotta love Starbucks!

3. Kreiger

Is it bad that I still don't like their coffee? They're a decent company as far as companies go, I'm just more of a Dunkin person.

4. BelleFromHell

My mom LOVES Starbucks. :grin:

5. animequeen567

I love Starbucks! They're just giving me more reasons to love them :grin: <3

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love them even more now! ^.^ (!)

7. Hiems

Cue backlash from OMM (which is really 5 moms slouching on their couches with their laptops while eating Doritos and watching Duck Dynasty) in 5, 4, 3...

8. wolf of fire

I've never had Starbucks coffee before

9. 741852963

Meh, don't buy it. I think its a cheap publicity stunt.

Still a very, very nasty corporation in my opinion. Major tax avoidance, treating staff poorly, questionable environmental track-record.

Thanks, but no thanks Starbucks. I'll continue to boycott.

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I'll buy twice as much coffee to make up for it. :icon_bigg

Seriously, Starbucks is like my favorite corporation. The staff is always so nice to the customers (at ever Starbucks I've been to) and they genuinely make my day better. I also love their coffee and their LGBT support.

11. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you love Starbucks for this then you'll love pretty much any major Canadian city (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, etc) because some time back every city hung a pride flag in front of the city hall, and as I recall, Vancouver has some crosswalks painted with the pride colours.

As for Starbucks, the only thing I like from Starbucks are the iced green tea frappuccinos. Other than that I dislike their coffee (frankly I don't like any coffee to begin with, but I would much rather have Tim Horton's coffee) but I do like their pastries.

It's good that many large companies support LGBT rights. All the really major companies and websites do. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Tumblr, Kraft Foods, JC Penny, etc, all support gay rights. If you have an iPhone, iPod or iPad, you'll notice that there are two emojis, one is a little icon of two men holding hands and the other is two ladies holding hands. Also a man and a woman too of course.

I think it's really a bad move on some people's part when they say they'll boycott a certain company when they come out saying they support gay rights. That means that they have to completely get rid of their phones, computers, stop going to the grocery store and eat out at only Chick-Fil-A or whatever it's called and sell their car. If that's their true stance, they're going to make life very difficult for themselves.

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate star bucks they use their money to give to the Israeli govt and the Israeli govt use that money and kill Palestinians

13. 741852963

Well its just a shame that behind the scenes management are treating them like :***:. Zero hour contracts, slashing sick pay, not giving staff their contracted hours, threatening staff who raise grievances, etc etc.

14. Mariliss

Cool! Another thing I like about them. I love their frappuccinos~ I still need to try the green tea one though.

15. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Great!! I love their coffee which is funny?....considering I don't drink coffee(slowly stains your teeth removes enamel that keep you teeth looking white), but Starbucks is the only exception!!! :grin: :grin:

16. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Cool, But I still won't drink Starbucks.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Starbucks is downstairs. I'm hungry. My usual Grande Mocha Frap shall do the trick.

18. justjade

I prefer Seattle's Best myself, which, guess what, is not Starbucks. :lol:

Anyway, yeah, I'm glad they're doing this. I'm not proud to have a Starbucks coffee mug that my uncle got me for Christmas one year.

19. 741852963

I'm always skeptical when companies make bold statements like this; how genuine is their message?

Whilst you can argue that the intention is irrelevant as they are still visibly making a statement, I personally see these things as corporate whitewashing to make the company look good and to boost sales. Lets face it, how expensive or difficult is sticking up a pride flag at the head office.

I also feel those who shout loudest have the most to hide. Waving a pride flag does not automatically win my support, if anything I find it a little patronising. "Hey LGBT people and allies, look, a rainbow! Shop here!". The company I work for does the same, lots of "we support gay people" messages, with no actual concrete evidence or examples of them doing so. It is all talk. Meanwhile there are companies out their making great improvements to their surrounding communities without fanfare and banners, just getting on with it.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ You do make a good point, and it's something to always keep in mind.

However, Starbucks is a big company with a lot of controversy surrounding it already. Especially these days, saying you at least support LGBT people/rights is a huge statement to make. Why not make a statement that big while you're a big company?

I don't doubt you already know this, but there are people who have probably literally left their jobs because the company they work for has flown the "evil, immoral" rainbow flag. There are people who won't take it, and there are even some people who might at least consider suing the company for their "religious freedom" no matter how irrelevant it is to their personal lives. Whenever a company does something like this, it shows the true colors of the people who pay for their services. Who really gives a shit about all of this? The people who boycott the company solely for this reason, that's who. The people who think that me marrying my boyfriend has anything to do with their religious or sex life, that the people on this forum will singlehandedly be the reason our planet bites the dust, while we're constantly burning whatever fossil fuels we have left and totally ignoring whatever science hits them, crying "Blasphemy!" because it's not in the Bible. Those are the people who will not be drinking Starbucks anymore because of this, and my guess is that at least someone at the HQ didn't want to be affiliated with them anymore. Starbucks makes enough money as it is, it's obvious as shops open up within other Starbucks shops. So, coporate greed? Maybe. But if anything, it's definitely risking losing a good sum of money.