1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News “Passable transvestites.”

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LonestarConnie, Jun 23, 2014.

1. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I just don't get it. I don't really see the phrase passable transvestite as worse to use than Auschwitz or robust mongoloid or pedophiles or The Trail of Tears or Muhammad or date rape. I mean, it's a game of horribly offensive statements. Insulting and immature statements are the whole point.

That said, if he doesn't want that card in the game because it hits close to home, that's fine. I don't understand it, but that doesn't need to translate into me insulting him or bitching about political correctness. I do agree with those who more calmly pointed out the not so nice implications of considering trans issues unacceptable territory but being okay with all the racism and sexism and Holocaust jokes (and I'm glad that this kid came to understand the point that was being made there), but I think the guys who were getting hostile and insulting are jackasses who really need to calm down.

#2 Necromancer, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I agree.

People need to have a sense of humor about themselves. I mean, if someone wanted to put "Nerdy faggots" or "Gay guys that aren't femme" or "lesbian eco-feminazi with leg hair like a rainforest", personally I'd find all of those funny as heck.

I spent a number of years at one of the most politically correct places on the planet, Oberlin College. So I totally get the sensitivity issues. But I also think people need to not be quite so uptight about most of this stuff. Life's too short.

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well, I would find it offensive in a context that wasn't Cards Against Humanity. If passable transvestite was dropped in a joke told by someone who's not pro-trans or in a situation where offensive jokes aren't really appropriate, I might be a little angry. Cards Against Humanity is different, however, in that it is a game specifically about being offensive. If you don't want to be massively insulted, it might not be a good idea to play a game dedicated to being massively insulting. Trans people aren't being singled out for abuse, either. White people, black people, Mexicans, Southerners, Jews, Muslims, Catholics, gays, women, and a bunch of other groups are all directly insulted by the cards in the game. I don't see why trans people should have any special immunity to being targeted in this context.

#4 Necromancer, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  5. Simple Thoughts

What the heck is "Cards Against Humanity"?

I keep hearing about it, but I have no idea what it is. Either way, from what I gather the game has a lot of offensive phrases in it, and I don't really see how this one particular phrase is any worse than the others.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

This is the first time I've heard of cards against humanity, how does it work exactly? It's a game right?

7. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, you get a hand of phrases and then one card with a phrase where you have to fill in the blanks with the most awful or funniest thing possible. When me and my friends bring people into our group for the first time we use it as an icebreaker its pretty great for that.

Really the people complaining about that card seem to be missing the entire point of the game.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

It's a card game where there's a card with a question or a fill in the blank sentence and everyone playing has to choose a card from their group of cards that makes the sentence funniest. A LOT of the cards are pretty offensive so I don't really see the problem here. Normally I would find that offensive but in this game it seems pretty normal

9. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Cards Against Humanity" is the adult version of Apples to Apples

10. Simple Thoughts

I see.

Well honestly I can't be mad at that particular card without being mad at the entire game. Honestly, I kinda want this game.

11. RainDreamer

The person burning the card just find it personally offensive to himself and don't want it in his own deck, thus the burning, but not making a statement or anything. I think that is his choice to make on what he wants with his deck, and people should just calm down about political correctness and all that.

Though I think the card should be updated with more accurate descriptions about us.

12. Hexagon

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. The game insults everyone, I don't see why we're special.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Oh okay.