1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Indiana Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LonestarConnie, Jun 25, 2014.

1. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. musicgirl18

I Can Get Married Now...

...Well, as soon as I'm of age, of course. And you know, actually find someone, fall in love with her and all those technicalities. :wink:

IN Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

3. SomeNights

congratulations to all us Hoosiers, now if only we could have done that without going to the federal courts.

4. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I heard. I am surprised. Going from a state with a ban on same-sex marriage to one that allows it with no stay and couples already getting their licenses and getting married as we speak all over the state is a bit jarring. I didn't think it would happen this soon.

5. Hexagon

Excellent. It's a shame you can't just do it all in one go, though.

6. BibleBeltBill

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im not one to say I told you so but I told you so....
    I have always said marriage rights i.e. marriage equality will be won in the courts and NOT on the stage of public opinion. Nor thru polls. Nor on religion beliefs.

But I will say this...
    I was having a burger a while back at a trendy gay friendly old fashion 1950's dinner here in the bible belt, this dinner located in a very non-gay-friendly redneck area of town (oddly enough). And it was truly entertaining to just sit back and watch the obviously anti-gay redneck dinner patrons giving their sour glances and disproving stares toward the obviously gay dinner patrons, both sharing this same establishment. Yes... the food is that good.

And it hit me that most of those disapproving death stares were coming from folks over 50 years of age. And it also hit me that most if not all of those older folks never grew up in a society where gay people were openly abundant yet alone tolerated.

Where as with todays youth. they are growing up in a world where Gay is the norm on TV and movies, in politics, in society as a whole.
    Something that the older folks never grew up around.
    I realized that growing up in a society where differences are not criminalized or despised is the real hope for the future.

I guess what I am saying is the older folks were never exposed to gay people other than in a very negative way, so its completely natural for older folks to find todays changes hard to stomach.
    Where as on the other hand, todays youth of society will not experience that negative closed minded upbringing concerning gays. The youth of today see gay characters on TV portrayed in a positive light, and in the movies, and with sharing the same restaurant.
    Never giving that a second thought, let alone a negative thought.

Its hard for change to be accepted. Just as with civil rights in the 60's.
    Today its nothing for your son or daughter to be attracted and fall in love for someone of a different race. But back in the 60's, 70's? That was totally unacceptable. Back then if you seen a mixed couple out in public walking together or involved together they usually stuck out like a sore thumb and were very much noticed.
    But today, most people don't give it a second thought. And parents no longer care if their kid should date a person from another race.

In five to ten years from now this will be the case with same sex couples.
    I doubt most people will even notice and more so even care.
    And people won't ask or care if that NFL player should date a woman or a man.
    As the old ways of thinking die out, the youth take over.
    Change is very good...
    But more so change is, "IS"... inevitable.
    It is silly to keep fighting the change we are seeing today.
    It is even more silly for states and attorney generals and politicians to keep beating this dead horse.
    As if they could somehow stop the change from happening.
    It is so ridiculous and so sad to watch these anti change folks keep beating the dead horse as of they could ever have any effect on the change that is happening.
    It is beyond ignorant of them.
    It is just sad they keep at it expecting they will somehow and can somehow succeed at it.
    Really sad. And so pointless.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now gay marriage is only about an hour and 45 minutes away!

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2014 at 04:57 PM ----------

According to the a press release from the governor, Mike Pence (R), marriage licences will continue to be issued during the appeals process.

"Because the Governor believes in the rule of law, the State of Indiana will comply with the federal court’s order as this case moves through the appeals process."

8. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good story:

Meet the first gay couple in Indiana to get marriedlQuIr0

Craig Bowen And Jake Miller Become Indiana's First Gay Couple To Marry

"Bowen and Miller, who have been together for eight years, told the Indy Star that they planned to celebrate the union with a champagne toast after the ceremony. "

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Governor Pence has said he will comply with the ruling even when Attorney General Zoeller appeals the ruling or chooses not to. All of these wins are nice, but the real way to get national marriage equality is to have our side lose one case and win one, and have both go to the Supreme Court at the same time.

10. JakeHas

Omg yahhahaha!!! I live in indiana!! Im so happy

11. photoguy93

While I do live in Indiana, I don't think it's over yet. It will be a long road. I expect to wake up soon and see that it's all a joke and that it's back to the old way. I guess I don't have enough faith in the system at this moment!

12. Cas

Cas

I had just woken up and was scrolling through my friends' posts on Facebook when I learned about it. At first when I read it, I thought my friend was joking. I realized that it wasn't a joke and my jaw dropped and I started to tear up.
    Indiana was the LAST place that I thought would rule gay marriage unconstitutional. I'm glad it happened so now I can get married to whomever I may fall in love with.

13. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I wasnt having phone issues there would be a gif in this post with Kermit the Frog waving his arms yelling, YAY!!!!!!!!

14. Fandom obsessed

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wow Indiana that shocked me

16. Hatsune Miku

17. WriterGoddess

As somebody not from IndiANA HUZZAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! *pops open champagne...and then puts it in the fridge because no alcohol for me*

Sweet, Indiana! And I'm really pleased that they're letting people marry through any appeals processes - other states have not had the luxury, I think!

So, then - that brings up the count to 20, plus D.C., right??? WHOO!

18. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Almost half of gay Americans now live in states where they can marry

19. Cas

Cas

Now there was a stay put on it so no one can get married now and the marriages that occurred during the time when it was legal are now in limbo.