1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News "'America's Got Talent' airs song mocking trans women"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wobbly, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Wobbly

UPDATE: 'America's Got Talent' airs song mocking trans women | GLAAD

Wow... I'm not going to say anything further (I could write a multi-page rant) other than this is one of the most disgusting things I've seen.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

What a bunch of fucking twats.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I look forward to the complaints about political correctness with baited breath.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not cool :frowning2:

5. Techno Kid

NBC should ban him! :frowning2: Imagine if a 20-30 year old sung the same some...that would not be "cute" or "endearing" would it?

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I only watched two episodes and I can't believe they would air something like this I love this show but how could they do that to trans women ?:tears:
    This reminds me of a show I was watching with my dad and they were making fun of a trans woman who hadn't had surgery yet and she was trying on dresses and the people in the show and I was so shocked was hitting her with a rod and my dad actually thought that was funny . And it's been years now and people still treat trans women like their a joke it's just not right .

#6 stocking, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  7. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He only stated he would not date a trans woman, he did not insult trans women as far as I can see.... The problem is that some people would see it as a joke but it's fuel for actual transphobes and it insults people who date people without a sex change operation... I have mixed feelings about this :/

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm gonna watch the episode this weekend .

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I just watched it.. I don't find it offensive.. it was for a laugh

Someone on the comments even said they have a few transgender friends, and they found it funny.

Ok, I know I'm not transgender myself, but its like racist jokes.. I find them funny because they're for comedy.

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand why some people find it funny and others not. But this is a guy who is 84 years old, humor changes with age, and he was saying that he would not date a pre-op transwoman. He used the correct pronouns, and described her beauty and how he felt about her, but could not date her because she has a penis. There are people out there who do not have a preference for trans people. That is their preference and it is not fair for us to try on change that.

I am dating someone who is trans, and even though I love him more than anything, it took a mental leap. I am perfectly okay with it now, but it took a bit.

I personally found it funny. My 77 year old Dad makes jokes like this all the time and he does it just to be funny and not offensive. He knows that my boyfriend is trans and he is fully supportive of us dating, he see my bf as male. He stills makes the jokes, and for the most part they are not offensive. They are simply meant to be funny.

11. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

People lose jobs and reputations for making transphobic jokes (Kimberly & Beck anyone?) and for someone to receive praise? It's disgusting... they really should correct this wrong somehow :l

12. gaynerd64

I watched the show and didn't find it offensive at all. Everybody in the room was cracking up.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

If someone finds trans women unattractive, that's up to them, but making a huge deal out of it and airing it is downright nasty.

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The joke about as new as a Dean Martin roast. The only thing original about this interpretation is that an elderly eccentric sat at a piano made it on prime time television and I'd be amazed if no old man has ever made that joke before.

How this is being lauded in a way not seen since Cardinals Ximénez, Fang and Biggles burst into a room and declared that nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition is beyond me. If that's the best comedy AGT can dredge up then whoever runs it needs to have a word with themselves.

#14 GeeLee, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  15. Goes to show that transgenders still have a long way to go before they are accepted into society.

I'm sure 20-30 years ago, jokes like these were made about gay men and women all the time. I'm sure it'll get better for the transgender community.

16. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious, what if this was directed at a specific gender or belief or such?

17. photoguy93

I guess I'm just a little perplexed.

This is meant as a joke. What really gets me, though, is how strong some of you feel!

Abusing animals is horrible. Hurting children... Is horrific. There's plenty of disgusting shit in this world.

I'm sorry, I know it will offend some of you. I don't mean to be nasty, but I honestly feel that this is overreacting. That does not help us.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

That's kind of what I'm getting at....I personally think political correctness goes too far at times, but at the same time I feel there are too many double standards with people.

For example, when a straight person makes fun of, negatively stereotypes or scoffs at homosexuality on TV, you get people saying It's just their opinion, or It's a joke. But when a gay person says the same about heterosexuality, all of a sudden It's 'offensive, hateful, bigoted, and brings a bad name to the gay community'.

I can get behind just a joke though. The problem is that although a joke, It's actually a realistic situation for trans women where they find themselves in a life threatening situation, so I could understand why It's more sensitive to them.

19. birdking

This.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that people find this sort of thing funny, but as a transgender person I'm sick of being the butt of jokes.

If it was harmless fun, I wouldn't care, but the fact is, there are people who think people like me are disgusting. I'm harrassed in school and I was almost assaulted last year. I'm probably not going to be able to get a job when I start transitioning.

The world is run by people who are offended by my very existance. I'm kind of sick of people perpetuating that stereotype.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how being born with male parts is considered a "failure" or "flaw". Yeah, that's not transphobic at all...