1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused with gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by smartguy, Aug 28, 2008.

1. smartguy

what exactly is gay marriage? New Jersey offers civil unions but whats the difference?

excuse my stupidity

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As I understand it...

"Marriage" includes the traditional ceremony, where someone officiates and pronounces the wedding valid. Bride-and-groom type of thing.

Civil unions give most or all of the same legal rights as marriage, but there is no public ceremony involved.

3. smartguy

ok cool
    i understand it now, but then wouldnt it be wrong for the government to allow gay marriage, i mean the law cant force a change in religion

isnt it being a bit annoying asking for the exact title of 'marriage' ?

4. smartguy

that makes a lot of sense. thanks

5. NathanHaleFan

Not how I view it. To me, this is not a debate about terminology, though many people mistakenly see it as only that.

This is a debate about equality in the eyes of the law and public. By deliberately giving it a different name, the politicians are sending the message that a covenant of love between a gay couple is fundamentally different and inferior. The only reason to deny the use of "marriage" like a heterosexual marriage would be to connotate that it is somehow not deserving, e.g. inferior... rather like the Blacks were required to use a different waterfountain because they were, too, inferior.

Sure, everyone gets the same water (or rights) but courts have proven that separate is not equal.