1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The Hobby Lobby decision convinced LGBT groups to abandon a bill they supported for y

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Jul 8, 2014.

1. RainDreamer

The Hobby Lobby decision convinced LGBT groups to abandon a bill they supported for years - Vox
    While the rebel in me wants to say that we should fight this till the end, I do think that we can approach this from another angle when the situation has became unfavourable. One step back for three step forwards later.

2. Aldrick

Re: The Hobby Lobby decision convinced LGBT groups to abandon a bill they supported f

I agree with the move, and in retrospect it should have been the initial approach to begin with.

They're not backing away from ENDA as the title implies. They're saying that they need to go back and fix the religious exemptions in the bill - pretty much gutting such exemptions from the bill. This will make it even harder to pass, as some Democrats will jump ship.

However, it's the right move.

From the article:
    "ENDA's discriminatory provision, unprecedented in federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination, could provide religiously affiliated organizations — including hospitals, nursing homes, and universities — a blank check to engage in workplace discrimination against LGBT people," the groups argued. "The provision essentially says that anti-LGBT discrimination is different — more acceptable and legitimate — than discrimination against individuals based on their race or sex."

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Re: The Hobby Lobby decision convinced LGBT groups to abandon a bill they supported f

I agree with this move as well, but I think as well requiring a massive overhaul of the religious exemption part of the bill, the protections for LGBTI people within the bill need to be expanded beyond employment.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I listened to some of these religious corporate wackjobs last night on NPR and it is chilling. The Hobby Lobby decision has emboldened these assholes to make all sorts of decisions for their employees "well if I'm gonna pay for it, I will have a say in how it's spent", i.e. medical decisions they have no business making. These religious exemptions are a trap and if unopposed, the "narrowly" defined decision on Hobby Lobby is the crack that started the dam collapse.

5. Ticklish Fish

religious people with power who wants to control other people?

6. Hiems

Yep. It's a slippery slope...

7. Candace

I agree with what's happened and that they should come back and support them when this religious exemption fiasco is fixed. Religion trying to control people? Haven't heard that one before...

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Aldrick

Great link, greatwhale. I agree with everything written there, as well as how he defined it.

I also agree with this write up by Rea Carey, the executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Action Fund.

She's spot on in everything she wrote there. This is the right move, without a doubt.