1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anti-gay Church finds no support in UK

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Jul 12, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Hexagon

Hah

From the article:
    I just found this significant because it ties into an argument from chit chat. This particular church will not be swayed by an argument from nature, because whether something is natural is separate from whether it is moral. They must be convinced it is moral to be queer; there is no other way.

#2 Hexagon, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  3. RainbowMan

What I read from that is the old Catholic church dogma - it's OK to be gay, just so long as you never act on it.

What they obviously don't realize is how hurtful this is to gay teens, such as myself, who were pushed too deep into the closet to have any chance of a "normal" life. I spent 15-20 years repressing my desire, thinking that I was somehow fundamentally broken. To what end are these folks trying to teach this? Nothing says that they have to be gay, or act on those desires if they are. But for those of us who are gay, and have a desire to act on it, telling us that we're broken and a sign of the fall is just wrong.

4. mangotree

God bless Sevenoaks :slight_smile:
    Best protest ever - an invisible one.

Let's just hope this publicity doesn't
    a) attract people from out of town to the church or
    b) cause some kind of violence

5. Kat 5

Yet another reason why I like British people in general.

6. Minnie

Bahahahha!

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HAHA! wow, that says a lot about that area and people in general.(in reference the article and comment she made) yes honey, if i was still religious, everything is between me and the lord but it sure as hell not for you to know. i don't think it will be a success.

8. RainDreamer

Somethings makes me worried though. This is a church with its origin from Nigeria, and is expanding around the world.

Who is funding them? The nigerian prince?

9. Candace

Glad to see that the British are tough and won't stand for this tomfoolery. Good job guys :slight_smile:

10. qboy

Part of that will be general apathy towards the Church though - attendance is in terminal decline with the average age of the congregation rising by about three years every five years (it's currently around 55), only around 5% of the country regularly attend church so attracting audiences will be a pretty hard task. The numbers are also skewed by the immigrant populations (especially from Eastern Europe) masking the decline in attendance amongst the general population (We have around the fourth lowest Church attendance in Europe too.

Alas the publicity may well see their audience increase, especially amongst the bigots and homophobes of the surrounding area.

11. Candace

Do you think the numbers would be much higher then? If you were to replace "church" with "religious institution", would there a staggering difference in attendance?

I always knew that the U.K. had a lot of immigrants. Also, there is a substantial amount of people from say the Middle East and India, which obviously have no church goers. So like I said, if you replaced that word with "religious institution", I would expect the attendance amount to be much higher.

12. prussianblue100

For some reason, this made me think of a quote I saw in a video:

"Nobody cares. Nobody! And...You need to shut up!"

That's what English people are saying to that church. XD

13. Rabbitmad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Shows them how unpopular they are.

14. qboy

Probably not - we do have a significant immigrant population but many are from various Christian countries anyway (many of Britian's immigrants hail from the Commonwealth and European Union where Christianity has generally been the majority religion). Those from elsewhere tend to have there own well established places of worship and in my experience once you get to second and third generation immigrants religious observance is already in decline and a British spin has been added to it (the Muslims I know who will happily drink all year round except during Ramadan is a brilliant illustration of the merging of cultures!). Our immigrant communities and their descendants are also spread out across the country - and even in cities like Leicester (heading towards being the first city in the country with White Britons numbering less than 50% of the population) there is a variety of religions and religious beliefs (Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus etc).

In short - basically an "anti-gay temple" of "anti-gay mosque" would have a tiny population to draw on in the first place, and of that population an even tiner cohort who have got focused on hatred, and an even tiner cohort which have anti-gay hatred they would pick a place of worship based upon that. In the main most Brits tend to be more along the lines of live-and-let-live - they might not agree with something but couldn't really care less unless it starts effecting them directly (or the Daily Mail/The Sun try to whip them up in a frenzie).