1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Homophobia: the courage to speak out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Damien, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone,

I found this article in my local news this morning, that I found quite moving and instructive; thought I'd post it here. An excerpt, followed by the link:

Damien. :slight_smile:

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a great piece, thanks for sharing it, Damien! A lot of, if not most, gay people can relate to what he wrote. I've done exactly this, not with my old friends as much, but avoiding situations with new people, "I exiled myself from a lot of social activity... But in truth I often just didn't want to put myself in social situations where relationships or my love life may become a topic of conversation." I've done that for so long that I feel the same way even about meeting gay people. I think now it's a fear of them rejecting me for not having had any relationships and what they may view as being closeted. Anyway, good for this guy and what he's doing to reduce homophobia in sports. :thumbsup:

3. Candace

I loved reading every bit of it, Damien! (!). Thank you for sharing this enlightening piece. :slight_smile:

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi mnguy,

no worries well I had a feeling others would like the article as well...I felt quite moved reading it, despite only recently 'coming out to myself' a few months ago (that I feel attracted to guys as well as girls, although the girl part seems absent at present - it's taken a vacation and I'm wondering when it will return). I would love to come out of the closet but one of my daughters, while totally untroubled by anyone being lgb or t, even her own dad - begged me not to, because of how her mother (my ex) might react. I agreed to stay closeted in my local area until she is much older, in consideration of her feelings. But one day I hope to just be totally open about it. I think that every time someone is open about it, it's like another ripple sent out, that is gradually becoming a wave, that will eventually wash away the fear of any lgbt folk simply expressing their sexuality with the same freedom that straight folks can, and do, every day.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2014 at 11:17 AM ----------

u r most welcome, my friend :slight_smile: I found it very moving to see what our brothers (and sisters) go through with this. I've been 'lucky' in a way, that because I hardly know anyone too well at present, there aren't really that many people for me to keep a secret from...I know that sounds odd but I've been a bit of a recluse, socially speaking, for the past few years.

#4 Damien, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014