1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Sainsbury’s attacked for covering up gay magazines, leaving Zoo uncovered

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by markosss, Jul 20, 2014.

1. 741852963

To be honest this could be down to any number of things. Stores not being properly stocked with the modesty screens for instance, a general cock-up, rogue staff, or even people simply removing the boards to create something to tweet about.

In this case the issue was flagged and has been corrected, so I don't see the need for media outrage. Its a magazine cover in a small handful of convenience stores; yes it may suggest some underlying homophobia, but in the grand scheme of things its rather trivial.

#2 741852963, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. Candace

I agree partly with the guy above me. I don't want to point fingers at Sainsbury's for being homophobic when there's only this photo as the proof. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why those magazines were displayed in that manner. But if Sainsbury's (I live in the States, so we don't have this chain but I'll be pretend like we do) publicly said "yes, we decided to put the magazines as such since gay people to us are disgusting", then I would expect an uproar, including for me. Otherwise, I don't want to play the blame game, even if this article and event seem scandalous.

3. RainDreamer

I kind of find it funny that while the gay magazine is covered, there are other half naked men with perfect body around on those fitness magazine too...and they are not covered.