1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Justices Say Utah Doesn't Have to Recognize Gay Marriages

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Jul 21, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Story.

Well, there you have it.

This makes me worried that for all the gains that have been made, the Supreme Court could wipe them away, just like that. I'm really on edge about what this might bode if there's ever a broader ruling.

2. Candace

This bites :frowning2:. Well, I guess I could just visit, just never live there..le sigh :/.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because saying that a legally binding social contract flat out does not exist is a good precedent to set and all... I feel awful for the 1300+ couples who were married.

4. Aldrick

I think it's important not to read too much into the stay. The title is misleading. The SCOTUS just said that they don't have to recognize the marriages - yet. This is why stays are always issued with the rulings, it's to prevent situations like this where people get trapped in legal limbo, and to allow everything to work its way through the courts.

They are not saying that the marriages are nullified. They're just saying that Utah doesn't have to recognize them until the courts have made their final ruling. It would have been shocking had they given a different decision. Had they ruled differently, they would have essentially legalized marriage equality in Utah, even as there is a fierce legal battle going on in the courts.

This isn't a loss for us, it's just the SCOTUS maintaining due process until the case has worked their way up through the courts. This is why stays are usually issued right along with the rulings in most cases.

Here is the ruling the SCOTUS issued.

Here is a more in depth discussion from SCOTUSBlog.

In short, nothing changes in Utah. Things continue to move forward through the courts.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At this point, I think they'll rule 5-4 that we don't have the right to marry. They've gotten even more partisan since last year, and by the time this hits the court, well, it may be a mistake to take it there at this point.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically, the case has nowhere to go but SCOTUS.

I dunno why they don't issue some kind of ruling; clearly this issue is costing a ton of money and a lot of confusion at all levels of the judicial system.

It seems to me like they're trying to avoid it.

And still, I don't agree with the ruling.

7. Aldrick

It's going to the 10th Circuit next, but yes, ultimately it will end up on the SCOTUS doorstep.

They did issue a ruling to avoid confusion. That was the point of the stay that was issued to give things time to work through the system. The only reason it's costing a ton of money and time is because Utah keeps appealing. They lose and then they appeal, and when they appeal it moves up to the next level of the courts, slowly working it's way up to the SCOTUS.

The real question is when it finally lands on the SCOTUS doorstep whether or not they'll take the case. If they refuse to hear it then the lower court's ruling becomes law, and it looks like the 10th is going to follow in the tradition of those who have come before them since the fall of DOMA and deliver a pro-marriage equality verdict.

All the lower courts seem to be in agreement, and seem to be making the same arguments. Really, I suspect the Supreme Court could very well choose NOT to hear the case, and just let these things work their way up through the courts. They may only choose to hear the case in a situation where there is an anti-marriage equality opinion or a conflict in the rulings.

I could see the SCOTUS doing this so they never have to actually rule in favor of marriage equality themselves, but instead let the lower courts do their dirty work for them. It would take a few years longer, sadly, but the more the SCOTUS stalls the higher the approval rate will move on the marriage issue... so it's hard for me to see a reason why the SCOTUS wouldn't stall.

And actually, it may be the safest course of action for us if they do. This means we don't have to read the tea leaves for Kennedy, wondering if his love for states rights will trump his love for equal rights, or have to wonder if Roberts can be persuaded in light of previous rulings and concern over his legacy.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I thought it already went to the 10th circuit, but maybe that was Oklaholma. One's head begins to spin when pondering all these appeals.

Still, I'm pretty skeptical about a decent SCOTUS ruling.

It's sad how religious-based bigotry cripples our society to such an extent, that you can be married in one state, but not have it be valid in another. That's just fucked up, and stupid.

But maybe something nice will happen, and Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts will all be crushed by a meteorite, swallowed up by a giant sinkhole, killed in a mudslide or avalanche, washed away by a flash-food, crushed in an earth-quake, or otherwise gotten rid of. That's my biggest hope.

#8 HuskyPup, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  9. Aldrick

Setting aside any potential accidents or illnesses, we are certain to outlive all four of them. All we have to be willing to do is bide our time, and prepare to have a Democrat in the White House to appoint their replacements.

The biggest defeats we've suffered since Obama has taken office hasn't come from Republicans in Congress, it's come from the conservative justices on the Supreme Court. Controlling the Supreme Court should always be our top priority, unless and until a time comes when widespread Constitutional reform is possible (and therefore reforming the Supreme Court as well).