1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Newspaper Editor Fights For Job After 'Gaystapo' Blog Post

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you think of employers firing people for things they say and do outside of work?

Newspaper Editor Fights For Job After 'Gaystapo' Blog Post | Advocate.com

I definitely don't like what he said and as an editor he should have been able to write his opinions in a way that wouldn't get him in trouble. I wish I could read the blog, but of course it was taken down. From the article the blog was about the Queen James Bible and that he didn't like it. That's fine but he should have been able to make his point without using terms like Gaystapo and calling us the enemy. It was probably full of the usual anti-gay lies they like to spread which he calls his personal, deeply held religious views. This is the new catch phrase we'll be hearing a lot in the coming years as the tactic they use to attempt continuing discrimination against us.

They are claiming that he was fired for his religious beliefs, but that's not true and I hope this gets smacked down so hard. He wasn't fired because he said he's a Christian it was because he made defamatory comments about gay people. He and others like him are hiding behind their religion to excuse their prejudice against us and then yell that they are being persecuted, just like the Bible says will happen to "true believers".

This is a comment on a related article which I think sums up the issue, "freedom of speech only means the government cannot arrest, prosecute, or jail you because of your speech. It does not guarantee freedom from consequences for your speech in the private sector."

Here's another good comment, "They want anti-dsicrimination laws for themselves, just not for people they hate. They aren't just bigots, but hypocrites. They don't support freedom, they just support privileges for themselves and restrictions on others."

2. Aldrick

I agree with all you've written here.

What's laughable is that if I, as an atheist, started to spout harsh anti-Christian rhetoric publicly and was fired because it could have harmed my employer this asshole and the people who stand behind him would be cheering.

What these people want are special rights. They want the ability to go out and say and do offensive things, and then be immune to any of the consequences of their actions. Sorry, the world doesn't work that way.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is freedom of speech in the US, but people also have to accept the consequences that come from their words.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have freedom of speech, but others have freedom of association. There is no liberty interest that he could possibly have that should staple his face to Newton Daily News' teat.