1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Bad News for the "ex-gay" Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, Jul 29, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

This is a stunner, given Yvette Schneider's reported influence in Prop 8 (California's former ban on gay marriage) and other shameful anti-LGBT activities that spanned from the late 90's until this decade:

https://www.glaad.org/blog/change-p...neider-celebrates-worthiness-and-equality-all

The question is: should she be forgiven? I think yes; it is important to forgive, not for her but for us, bitterness accomplishes nothing. Just as she was a powerful opponent, she will be an even more powerful and effective ally in demolishing this absurd "movement" once and for all, starting with making it illegal everywhere.

On a side note, I recently met a young American grad student here in Montreal from Tennesse who actually went through this "therapy", it was absolutely disturbing, hilarious and beyond belief what he went through...

2. Aldrick

I always believe it's important to forgive, for all the reasons you mentioned. I also believe that she can be a powerful ally moving forward. It makes no sense to hold a grudge as she has truly abandoned her harmful actions, and seeks to try and make amends. We should give her the opportunity to make amends.

I believe she could be a powerful voice in getting laws and legislation passed to stop harmful "ex-gay" therapy.

It's always been my belief that when people are working against you, you need to hit them as hard as possible. Do whatever is necessary to create consequences that force them to change. However, once they've embraced that change and have come over to your side, you need to embrace them. It creates incentives for others to follow their lead, growing our numbers and influence at the expense of those that oppose us. Often times it can be our strongest enemies who can become our strongest advocates.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I forgive her and i think she should be forgiven .

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a little confused. Is "ex gay" and having undergone reparative therapy one in the same? I would think so, meaning that one would go through some process to become "ex gay."

They have proven that these efforts don't work and, in the process, they have hurt a lot of people. In some cases, the harm has been devastating.

I don't know enough about her and this topic to say whether I want to forgive her or not. That's not even the right concept for me in this case. I just think she has come to her senses.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    She is a victim of homophobia and she should be forgiven.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She should be turned over the knee of RuPaul, and spanked, on national television.

And then forgiven.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My first gut reaction to this an announcement was something along the lines of "Why am I surprised that she takes this opportunity to sell her book? 10% to GLAAD? If she was serious about her atonement she would give it all to charity"

Then I took of my cynical glasses and decided that she was probably going to need money somehow now that she isn't trying to make money off the whole ex gay thing. Either way I would forgive her though, it's not like it would be worth my time to hate her.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i just read the entire 2 part article. what i read was a person who went looking for a sense of belonging and family. she found that feeling in these churches and policy groups and used her God give talents to work to promote the new "family" she found. at some point she, like many of us, had her "come to Jesus moment" and realized that living by someone else's version of her life wasn't working or living an authentic life. she can be as powerful an ally as a foe, but we shouldn't look at her that way. that would be using her as the "ex-gay" movement and so called churches did. welcome her as a prodigal daughter/sister and let her aid or live as she chooses.

just my two nickles.

9. RainDreamer

Well, hate is never a good thing, wherever that comes from, us or them. I think I will accept her, as any member of LGBT community accept another person. We suffer discrimination and hate, but it doesn't mean we should do it to others too. I hope we can break the chain here and end this hateful ex-gay movement.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People make mistakes, and sometimes they make giant, public, 14-year-long mistakes. I will forgive her and judge her based on what she does now, not what she did before.

11. edgy

edgy Guest

Tell us, please

12. sarahpenny02

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i'm proud of her for speaking out against the movement and of course i'll forgive her.

13. flipflopflying

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tend to find that the politicians that campaign against "anything gay" are usually the most closeted of the lot. Simon Hughes anyone?

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I laughed pretty hard at this :lol:

But yeah, of course she should be forgiven.

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I forgive her. As Christopher Hitchens said "Religion poisons everything".

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's never too late to change. I'm glad she finally "saw the light". :grin: