1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News When dead children have no names: Israel's terrifying descent into numbness

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Aug 3, 2014.

1. RainDreamer

When dead children have no names: Israel's terrifying descent into numbness - Diplomacy and Defense Israel News | Haaretz
    It is worrying that people are confirming the truthfulness of the saying "One death is a tragedy. A million death is a statistic."
    The media stop reporting about civilian death, the people stop caring. For some reason or another, people's hearts harden. This has been the main cause for so many horrible things in the world, including all the suffering and even death of LGBT people worldwide. I hope that the ad mentioned in the article gain momentum online instead.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes, thats a very sad truth dude

3. YourSoThirsty

This world is becoming a hell hole no morals, no compassion, no mercy, no good. It seems humanity is nothing but a terror a destroyer of life. That's all I ever see, others will beg to differ but I believe what I see. Frankly sometimes I wonder why I don't just take one less bit of evil off this once beautiful earth. I just don't understand it. Greed fills our hearts it always has. We kill the innocent they die for no other reason other than greed. We all will lose in the end, we will destroy ourselves and all of the innocent and then peace. Peace at last.

4. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yknow how the three Israeli teens died? They were in a car accident and the Israeli govt said to Mohammed abu khdeir's family : we won't give ur son back unless u lie and say Hamas killed them . Then three Zionist terrorists killed Mohammed abu khdeir after hearing that news.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The duhumanization of the Palestinian people is becoming more and more concerning. Israel has a right to exist and to defend itself, but when in defending yourself you kill 80% or more innocent civilians, this isn't a war against terror, this is slaughter of an innocent people and it should not be tolerated. Gaza is basically an open air prison, and the people inside have a right to live and a right to not live under the fear of being hit by missiles. People in Israel say they fear they may not have time to get to a bomb shelter, the Gazans have no shelters, and the ones they do have, Israel attacks anyways.

#5 BryanM, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What has, and is, being done to the Palestinian people as a whole, and to their children in particular, is so heartbreaking that I have to take in the news in very small doses. I can't handle too much detail.

7. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It scares even me how Israel is acting, I can't imagine how the people of Palestine must feel. Found myself crying after watching the news the other day!

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_sad:

9. DMark69

War is always a terrible thing, and that coming from a former soldier in the US Army. Israel was created in 1948 by the United Nations. They were almost immediately under attack by muslim nations in the region. If your nation had been continuously attacked by it's neighbors for 60+ years, you would support some of the actions they are taking too.

The region they are in is the home to 4 religions, and all of them have "Holy Land" in the region. None of those religions can stand each other, and historically more wars have been fought in the name of religion than any other reason. I remember at the time I first became politically aware, during the Jimmy Carter Administration, they were talking about Israel, fighting with the PLO way back then. It doesn't stop there though, If you want to look up Christians, and Jews fighting the Muslims in that region, go back to the Crusades. It is really the same war, and has been going on for much of history. It would be nice to see it end, but I doubt it will happen in any of our lifetimes.

10. Ridiculous

Israel vs Palestine is what you get when you combine 16th century religious tribalism with 21st century weapons.
    Both sides are shit and you should only feel sympathy for and be on the side of the civilians who had the misfortune to be born in that area. At least it is Israel that has the military might, not Palestine, because for all the atrocities Israel has caused, Palestine would have been far more brutal if the roles were reversed.

11. Candace

Geez, this is depressing :/.

12. WearyWanderer

See this? This is why there should be no religion. The cons of religion overwhelmingly outweigh the pros. Religion as a whole is an insanity-inducing mechanism masked with good intentions that gives people an excuse to kill. Just think: if religions were nonexistent, would this war even be happening? It would not.

13. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly think that there is going to be no peace and there is not going to be resolution, the hatred is far to ingrained in both the Israelis and the Palestinians. Civilian deaths are bad no matter what side its on, but Israel can hardly avoid them if those gutless Hamas militants hide behind innocent women and children thinking it will spare them. I can't understand why Israel can't win this war, if it was the US most of world would be behind them. It is also very hypocritical that people from the US go on about how civilian deaths of the Palestinians is so terrible but in every single war the US has been involved in there has been countless civilian deaths caused by them.

14. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow thanks for the totally unsubstantiated racism. Palestine is a modern nation state surrounded by other modern nation states all of which are recognised by the UN. They are not living in tribes, nor are they any less deserving of life and liberty than an "enlightened" white nation like Israel. This is just taking a tragedy and using it to fuel racial hatred against Muslims when the real problem is this childlike binary worldview.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2014 at 06:54 PM ----------

Might have been too harsh in my last post, I don't think your a racist. I just get a bit worked up about this stuff sometimes because I've done a lot of work in western/ middle eastern relations.

#14 ctrl alt delete, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. Ridiculous

Hmm, you've obviously completely misunderstood me and extrapolated out non-existent intent within my post because your emotions took over before you took time to think about what I actually said.

My tribalism remark was in reference to Palestine and Israel's differences (not any individual groups within those two). Tribalism in this sense being each side's complete focus on their own interests and complete disregard (and active antagonism) of the other's, just as primitive human tribes used to act.

16. Mzansi

The Arabic World has hosted more Jewish people than any other region,
    For longer than any other region,
    And with better conditions than any other region(That includes Europe and the US).

Please don't try and justify Israels existence,
    You said it yourself,
    It was 'created'(More torn) into existence in 1948,
    After MASS immigration of Jewish people from Europe and the US.

The Palestinians are genetically and ancestrally the oldest population group from the region,
    The fact that they're being made to suffer like this is ridiculous.

P.S The Crusades began when the EUROPEAN powers decided to interrupt a region for their own Christian reasons.

P.S.S They ate babies on their 'holy quest' and were barbaric by all accounts.

17. RainDreamer

I think we should stop here. This article is for the remembrance of the death of innocent children, not for arguing about religion. Religious or not, I hope everyone still have a silver of humanity in them to realize what happened that day : Children - our children, our future, die, because of our hands, and people refuse to look at it. Refuse to accept what had just happened. I thought it would be one time both sides would just stand down and look back at what they have done. But I guess not.

18. Nikky DoUrden

This thread is useless. no one wants dead children. this thread obviously going to politics and hating others. we r gay lets all love each other instead of hate please!

[​IMG]

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone is killing these children; clearly they're not bothered with letting them live, either. There is a war, there is a nation slaughtering civilians on the off-chance that they're hitting terrorists, there are terrorists exploiting desperate people with little choice but to support them. This cannot be removed from from a political, religious, or racial context; those matter in this war.

DMark69, younger generations in the West no longer see Israel as a victim of aggression. Defending Israel as the democratic victim of Arab extremism is not an effective argument anymore; did the civilians in Gaza vote to be blockaded? Did the Israelis let Palestinians remain as equals in the occupied territories? Hamas can rally Palestinians and even half the Western world to be sympathetic; after all, Israel's actions in the past month haven't been any better than Hamas'. Hamas is not innocent and should be politically disabled, but that does not justify Israel's response at all. Killing around 1400 civilians in response to 3 Israeli civilian deaths can't be called justified.

Israel can end this far more civilly, or at least try to do so. I'll give Israel the benefit of the doubt and not consider this attempted genocide, as some are calling it (even inside Israel.) Israel can return to negotiating a settlement which won't alienate Palestinians further, and achieve less fatal results.

20. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This guy :icon_redf. this is pretty emotional for us all (&&&) I just hope it ends soon.