1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Boy Scouts of A: "Ok fine so gays aren't pedophiles... but we still don't like 'em"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by wanderinggirl, Aug 4, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

2. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Boy Scouts of A: "Ok fine so gays aren't pedophiles... but we still don't like 'e

This is a step forward I guess, but still it's not what I'd like to see.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: Boy Scouts of A: "Ok fine so gays aren't pedophiles... but we still don't like 'e

I'm sick of this s:***:

4. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

So if gays are not pedophiles, then what are they afraid of?! Do they have an irrational fear of scout leaders converting boys to become gay?

Seems pretty stupid to me.

5. Edog

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Wow...

At least they're not using the pedophile excuse, but this isn't really that much of a step forward :/

I am so happy to say I got out of Scouts a while back, because I cannot understand why they do this kind of thing.

6. RAdam

Being a boy scout always seemed the gayest thing to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Is that just me tho?

7. AlexTheGrey

Dunno, but they've got a lot of gall to claim the world is a meritocracy when they also say you are banned from being a scout leader if you aren't straight as an arrow. No thanks.

Also of note:

So, you have to accept a higher power, because you can't be a good person unless there's a Jeff Goldblum watching you poop. But don't worry, you don't have to have a certificate or anything.

Yeah, this whole interview smells of whitewashing to me. Still wouldn't let my children participate, as there are better organizations that are more inclusive that are also doing good. Let's grow those instead.

8. esc1010

What's bad about them. It's not like they have green hair or orange skin.

9. Candace

Still bad, but at least they're not using the pedophile analogy anymore. The snail has moved in the right direction...

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I am ashamed to be a product of this organization. Least I turned out okay...not subject to their decrepit ways

11. wanderinggirl

You shouldn't be ashamed; you should be proud to be a gay product of this homophobic organization. You can now piss them off by going into the world as a happy gay adult.

12. DMark69

I agree you shouldn't be ashamed. I also was a boy scout, and my brother still supports his troop. I my self have, within the last 10 years helped with teaching scouts rocketry and ham radio at a summer camp. I was not out to the camp of course, but my interest was in the boys having a good time, and learning something. Most of the scout leaders I know don't care if there are gay scouts, or gay scout leaders.

I think it is a matter of time before the organization comes around. The troops themselves don't care, it is just some of the senior leadership, probably influenced by the Mormon Church. The Scouts took their time when they integrated black scouts and leaders, they will take some time to get around this corner too.

Overall I believe Scouting teaches some very important life skills, not just outdoor skills, but leadership and communications as well. I think the young scouts are already accepting, and the organization will not change that, they will end up changing the organization.

We should continue to put pressure on the BSA until they come around, but they are not an Evil organization, they actually do a lot of good.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:eusa_doh: