1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 100 year anniversary of the First World War

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by That one guy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Candace

This is really interesting! It's sad to think that there aren't any survivors who can share their tales about what happened :/.

3. SeaSalt

I was Watching the BBC Three series Our World War last night. Damn thing left me in tears!

4. RAdam

I saw a docu last week about brittish soldiers that still lived they were all in their 100's was a good docu. They're all dead tho but it was not so long ago.

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am fortunate to have had the chance to listen to some of the old skippers when i was a kid and they talked among themselves, ignoring the little kid in the corner, about the war and what they did and who they lost. these men faught both in the first and second world wars, and later i listened to and chatted with men who faught in Korea. then i joined the Royal Canadian Navy and chatting with men and later women who were on various peace keeping missions, the Gulf War, and lastly talking with kids that i trained who went to Afganistan. if you get the chance to listen to old folks do so, they have worlds of experience and life lessons.

6. The First World War is what made the U.S so rich. Since the U.S remained neutral for most of the war (I'm quite surprised), we made money by sending supplies to the Allies, which were in great demand since the Allies were losing until the U.S got in.

Also at the time, the U.S entered a period of isolation, exporting much more items than importing.

But not surprisingly, we profited off of war.

7. SeaSalt

The allies were not losing before the US got involved, remember that it was the Second world war that broke the British Empire, not the First World War. During the First World War Britain had managed to keep up a continuous blockade of all supplies entering Germany which is one of the main things which one the war (not Britain, the starvation in Germany) the Germans developed the Storm Trooper strategy were small groups of troops would break through the trenches and this nearly won them the war except when these Storm Troopers reached the British and French store houses full of food they all stopped and ate. the other reason they lost was due to the effect attrition had on their troop numbers. While I agree that the US played a Huge part in the Second World War I'm afraid the US impact on WW1 was rather small. while the US did supply over 4 million troops to the war effort, Just under 200,000 us troops were killed in action opposed to the 1 million British Empire deaths and the 8 Million overall troops we supplied. yes america did trade us basic supplies such as food however when US troops first landed they were grossly under equipped for the job at hand. Sorry that went on for so Long I love the US really even with all your quirks